Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Fitbit

on 17 November 2012
This is a lovely book to look at and some nice recipes, but many ingredients are not easy to obtain in UK, there were no recipes using Tofu. I thought it would have various ways of making Vegan ice cream the main ingredient is Soy creamer, the nearest I found in supermarkets was a soy single cream which was fairly runny. I realised that it would be best adapting my own recipes for dairy -free ice cream. Overall not very useful.
on 12 October 2011
Simple recipes that follow the same principles as the non vegan versions that I've made in the past. Includes the old favorites such as chocolate and vanilla as well as more exotic flavours, such as fig and green tea. Most of the ingredients are available locally (Australia) except for soy creamer but its easy enough to make and there are plenty of recipes on the Internet. A great resource.
on 3 April 2013
I bougth this book to give me some innovation for cold pudding recipes rather than just fruit or fruit puddings. The recipes are easy to understand but some of the ingredients aren't English friendly. I have made some minor changes and added my favourite ice cream additions. Overall thought very good.
on 12 August 2010
Unlike some books on non-dairy icecream, these recipes rely on soya milk and soya cream (not nuts) which makes them much healthier and gives the icecream a much creamier texture. Having said that, I do find the recipes a bit sweet (easily corrected) and they take a very long time in the icecream freezer.... The variety of flavours offered is truly inspiring and will keep any enthusiast amused for months.
Just to pick up on a few points made in earlier reviews: there IS a recipe for strawberry icecream - it is given as a variation of raspberry - and 'divided' soya milk refers to the 1 cup listed in the ingredients needing to be divided so that 1/4 is mixed with the arrowroot and 3/4 cup mixed in with the soya cream!
on 1 December 2016
As a basic level cook, with a sweet tooth and a life-long dairy allergy I have found this book a great edition to my collection and I have ended up trying flavours I never would have been able to get hold of commercially.

The thing I like most about this author is the way he determines each recipe off a base vanilla ice cream, so one you have mastered that technique you can pretty much attempt most of the recipes in the book and even start experimenting with your own flavours.

My normal (non-dairy-free!) girlfriend agreed that it did not taste any different to normal ice cream and even lets me serve it to friends when they come around. Which is more than can be said for my other cooking attempts......
on 7 August 2010
Bought as a pressie for my daughter, whose 18-month son has developed a dairy allergy, thereby largely denying him the joys of ice-cream and other dairy-based frozen desserts. The book, which is clearly and attractively presented, contains a wide variety of interesting and obscure recipes, but whilst a few of them might be worth trying out for one so young, the vast majority seem to be geared to the more mature palate. However, having bought a copy also for my elder daughter, I have no doubt that a good deal of constructive experimentation will be taking place over the next few months, and I look forward to being invited round in the near future for a sampling session!
on 26 May 2013
I can't eat a lot of dairy products, so I was looking for a dairy
Free ice cream book as I had been given an ice cream maker for
My birthday. I stumbled across this and boy what a find.
First off most of the ingredients you can get in UK like
The soya creamer which is soya cream sold in every
Supermarket in the free from isle. Secondly the ice creams taste
Far better than ordinary ice cream. Friends and work mates can't tell the different between dairy and non dairy they seem to love the non dairy more. The cider ice cream was a big hit so I am going to serve this at my forthcoming 40 birthday party. Enjoy the book.
on 20 January 2014
I just received an ice cream maker for Christmas and then bought this book. I've only made one ice cream,so far, but it was incredible!! The Almond Ice Cream. If that simple ice cream is that good, I'm really looking forward to try more. The mixture before it's frozen is even incredible-very custardy.
Also, this seller was great-the delivery was fast and I live outside of the UK. Very pleased, indeed.
on 21 March 2014
I was given this book as a present. I am not a vegan but have friends who are, so am often cooking for them and enjoy looking out for vegan recipes that will satisfy both the vegans and non-vegans at the table.

When I first flicked through the book, I thought it was amazing (pecan apple Danish, coffee, mint choc chip, blueberry, choc peanut butter swirl, butter pecan etc) but as I went to make the recipes I realised that I couldn't buy soy creamer and that pretty much put paid to making any of the recipes. A trawl of the internet suggested that this American product was different to soy milk and cream. However, eventually I found a recipe on this site ([...]) and since then haven't looked back! I've made quite a few of the recipes and one friend even said the vanilla choc chip ice cream was the best thing she had eaten all year! My personal favourite so far is the butter pecan. I challenge anyone to work out its vegan if they didn't know!

To make approx 1.25L of soy creamer, mix 0.25L soy milk (am sure you could use other milks if you prefer but I haven't tried anything else) with 0.25L oil (I used sunflower) and blend in a blender. Then add another 0.75L of soy milk and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional but I've used it and think it does make it nicer) and blend until smooth and frothy. The website also added 1-2tsp agave to taste - but as I used sweetened milk I didn't need to use any extra sweetening.

Once you've got a product for soy creamer, the recipes become accessible and the choice of ice cream is yours!
on 4 July 2014
Great recipes. I've only made vanilla so far and made it with oat milk and cream, which I think is a bit too strong tasting.
My next go will be an imitation of Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup. The component parts are all there in the recipe book. This time with soya milk and cream too.