on 13 January 2016
I took more from MacLeod's book than from the oft-compared 'Steal Like an Artist'. Just goes to show, each to his own. This small tome - easily read in a couple of hours - shares encouraging thoughts that are obviously based on personal experience. Good humoured too, with a couple of the cartoons prompting out-loud belly laughs. Thoroughly enjoyable - and inspiring - read.
on 14 December 2015
Not much content, but I did enjoy what was here. I don't like the impression it gave me of the author though.
on 24 October 2012
One of those books that you could read bot do not have to read. One afternoon is enough to go through the whole thing. I would recommend it to my friends but may be not as the first choice. Good book, but if you don't read it you will not miss much.
on 14 August 2013
this is just a quick, flick-through, kind of a book. But, if you're the type to not run with the crowd, you'll probably find yourself smiling or agreeing out loud with what you're reading. As I did!
2 people found this helpful
on 3 October 2017
Brilliant. Funny clever and makes very powerful points made
on 31 March 2013
This book is very short and to the point, but is littered with some very funny cartoon pictures that poke fun at so many very human situations and worries. Using his cartoons and some really wise words MacLeod is able to investigate the old age dilemma of creativity v realism in career and life. He rightly points out that so many of us have a creative contribution to make, but taking this too seriously chasing it to a point beyond reason or even ignoring it all together, solves nothing. He charts his own rise to success and brings in stories about the best way to find a balanced approach to unleashing your own creativity. However MacLeod doesn't tell us anything we did not really know before, but seems to put his ideas in a funny well presented way that makes simple sense. For instance the simple idea to; do something small, do something you enjoy and do it as often as possible, seems wise advise. Not a game changer but good food for thought.
7 people found this helpful
on 29 April 2014
... but you are just a casual reader this book will seem very oriented towards people of the so called "creative" sort.

Personally I got nothing from this book.

If you do want a similar book I can recommend "Steal Like and Artist" by Austion Kleon. Kleon manages to cover the regular reader much better!
2 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2010
I have read and re-read the book and thoroughly enjoyed it each time. Amongst the humour and the cynicism there are some key life and business lessons. The book opens up the mind to new possibilities - and will make you laugh!
4 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2013
I usually enjoy books of this nature, but this really is the book I could put down. I wish he'd just written on a business card "I happen to have a wide range of high-powered contacts and as you'll never be as creative or successful as me, you shouldn't bother. Oh yes! Before I forget, I've got a penis." He failed to raise a smile from me . . . maybe there's a reason why he has to stick with base references.

To be fair, I'm sure this book is great for certain characters - eg those who also sneer at talented, creative, helpful and friendly people who aren't so well off, financially. A much more enjoyable read is "Steal Like an Artist" which will, at least, make you smile. It was written by MacLeod's mate, Austin Kleon.

Finally - and this isn't a criticism - but what the hell do 'kvetchy/kvetching' and 'schlepping' mean? I lost the will to bother looking.
9 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 21 August 2013
I bought this for some inspiration on creativity but it's more than that. Broken into short digestible sections this easy to read and very enjoyable book is a must for anyone needing inspiration - not just for creativity, can be broader topics too. There is humour in each chapters with two of Hugh's famous business card drawings at the end of each halter. This is a book I will revisit again and again. Recommended!!!
One person found this helpful