on 29 January 2015
Very good book and good priced too.
on 10 March 2009
This is a very informative book, the most helpful book about publishing I've read (and I've read dozens).

I'm going to publish some things, have very little and limited money, know nothing at all about publishing, and have no mentor, so I ordered a huge pile of different books on the publishing industry.

This one, being more magaziney in title was among the last I got, just in case it had some info that might be useful for me, all the rest are about book publishing (because I'm publishing a series of books).

I'd almost run through my research stacks but a whole lot of my basic questions were left unanswered. Practicality in paper sizes, how I can ensure the final size of the publication is at it's most cost effective? Binding preferences, cost effectiveness of varying kinds, final impressions, where to see examples of, how to present etc. All the other books tend to deal with Big Publishers who have things like money, departments, wages, and the wherewithal to farm out jobs.

I've made the questions sound horribly dry, but the writer makes the book interesting, easy and enjoyable to read throughout.

So many questions, little niggling questions. Starting out I don't want to be asking professionals really dumb questions. Let's face it, someone might think 'Aha, ripe hick from the sticks,' take advantage of my ignorance, and there goes the budget and business.

I'd just begun to despair and contact people, trying to find answers my questions, when I picked up this book. It's the best in the bunch by a long way.

A wonderful grass roots publishing book. If I could pick only one of the loads of (very interesting) books I've read on publishing, this would definitely be it. It is certainly the most useful I've come across. Anyone publishing for the first time should be sure to read it.
on 3 June 2004
The only reason that I would be reluctant to review this book is because I don't really fancy allot of competition!
This book is one flow of publishing related business ideas after the other. I can't walk anywhere now without seeing opportunities locally that can generate good profits.
We are just acting on one now, and with some good guidance from this book it should be profitable first time round without any significant investment!
Hope not too many people buy this...... ;-)
on 9 July 2012
I purchased this book about 10 years ago! Read it from cover to cover 3 times and 10 years later I finally had the opportunity to do what I have always wanted to do. I have produced a sucessful monthly magazine with the help of Thomas Williams. If you are hoping for a career as a publishing entrepreneur, I would recommend having this book in your "tool box"! I have my 2nd magazine coming out in January which I will operate alongside my monthly, and have lots of ideas for future publications. In my day-to-day operations I come back to this book on a regular basis.
on 14 September 2013
I have seen online courses for 'how to publish a magazine' selling for £thousands, yet almost all of the information you need is set out in this book. You may also benefit from a couple of other books - depending of course what your magazine is about and your objective. All in all a good purchase.
on 7 September 2015
lots of great info, really love it, and will refer to it again. it provides lots of valid info even though times have moved on, still it gives insightful and useful info and sets out matters clearly.
on 8 February 2016