Customer reviews

on 9 September 2014
An absolute revolution in approaches to healing trauma. Peter Levine has changed my whole perception of my illness. He studied the behaviour of prey animals who, after a brush with death, quickly return to normal, in a way traumatised humans don't. Trauma is a physiological not mental problem, resulting from unexpelled energy trapped in the nervous system. The author discusses the freeze aspect of the fight/flight/freeze response that occurs when we're overwhelmed and lack the resources to move through an event we experience as life threatening. If we don't discharge the torrent of frozen 'survival energy' by shaking it off in some way, it stays with us, over time causing a host of increasingly dramatic, debilitating and painful symptoms. This book is a life saver, providing scientific evidence for what I've felt but have never, until now, been able to explain. My whole body breathed a huge sigh of relief when I started reading the Twelve Phase Healing Programme and I'm very positive about my prognosis.
on 26 July 2017
Healing from trauma takes time and patience, but according to Peter Levine it can be done, and people have done it. In fact, it's an innate ability in animals to move on from trauma, but humans don't always use this ability.

Trauma is intrinsic to your body as well as your mind, and there are several exercises in the book to change the way you relate to your body and move on from trauma. I'm using this in conjunction with therapy, dealing with an unstable childhood seeing a lot of chaos where people could change from happy to screaming at a drop of a hat. ( as a lot of people have also experienced).

The exercises so far, I feel have been helpful to me.

If you're struggling, I want to tell you there's hope out there and inside you and this book could be one of the things that helps you on your journey.
on 1 July 2017
Great book, shame the kindle version hasn't got the CD.... can't contact seller :(
on 5 June 2017
Love the book
on 5 April 2013
I was a bit disappointed in the length of the book after I nearly bought the original; Healing the Tiger. this is a much shortened version which really relies on watching the CD which I haven't done yet. I will hope to get round to it soon.
on 25 August 2016
I agree with another reviewer this is not a good book for someone with ComplexPTSD from childhood.
The exercises suggest doing them with someone else present, with the extraordinary statement ‘human beings do not feel completely safe when alone’. Well, some of us feel very very much less safe when with other people. Does he listen to his clients. How can someone who works as a therapist hold such an odd belief. Well I suppose those of us who are frightened of people don’t often go to therapists.

Then with the first exercise on establishing boundaries we are supposed to say “This is my hand, my hand belongs to me, my hand is part of me.”

To me this implies I am claiming to have rights, which for me is a very dangerous thing to do.
Moving on to using a pulsing shower head - how much does that feel like being beaten ?

That’s as far as I got with this.
I get on better with ‘Coping with trauma related dissociation’. The exercises are a much gentler lead in to the same issues.
And I’m continuing with ‘Healing Walks for Hard Times’ and ‘ComplexPTSD, from surviving to thriving’.
Also ‘How we love’. And acupressure. And the EFT mantra : ‘even though I - don’t feel safe when with other people - I deeply and completely accept myself’.

P.S. From the comments, people obviously feel strongly about whether this book is good for Complex PTSD. A good time to practice what people with Complex PTSD can have difficulty with : if you feel confident and supported then continue (though beware addictions !), if you feel diminished, bad, mis-understood - then don’t go on with it.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 March 2016
Excellent book and it arrived very quickly
on 8 February 2016
great
on 24 June 2017
OK
on 3 August 2012
Working on the basis that trauma disconnects a person with their body, Levine proposes a series of twelve simple exercises to carry out to 'reconnect' and heal trauma. With plenty of supporting information at the beginning, the book feels to the reader who has suffered from trauma - understanding, encouraging and reassuring. This will be a valuable resource to anyone in the process of healing from past trauma, both physical and emotional, when psychological methods can be too heavily based on the mind and thinking. I am glad to have found this book, simple and small enough to carry around with practical solutions to panic. Highly recommended.