Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2014
An absolute revolution in approaches to healing trauma. Peter Levine has changed my whole perception of my illness. He studied the behaviour of prey animals who, after a brush with death, quickly return to normal, in a way traumatised humans don't. Trauma is a physiological not mental problem, resulting from unexpelled energy trapped in the nervous system. The author discusses the freeze aspect of the fight/flight/freeze response that occurs when we're overwhelmed and lack the resources to move through an event we experience as life threatening. If we don't discharge the torrent of frozen 'survival energy' by shaking it off in some way, it stays with us, over time causing a host of increasingly dramatic, debilitating and painful symptoms. This book is a life saver, providing scientific evidence for what I've felt but have never, until now, been able to explain. My whole body breathed a huge sigh of relief when I started reading the Twelve Phase Healing Programme and I'm very positive about my prognosis.
on 3 August 2012
Working on the basis that trauma disconnects a person with their body, Levine proposes a series of twelve simple exercises to carry out to 'reconnect' and heal trauma. With plenty of supporting information at the beginning, the book feels to the reader who has suffered from trauma - understanding, encouraging and reassuring. This will be a valuable resource to anyone in the process of healing from past trauma, both physical and emotional, when psychological methods can be too heavily based on the mind and thinking. I am glad to have found this book, simple and small enough to carry around with practical solutions to panic. Highly recommended.
on 22 July 2011
As a complementary therapist practising reflexology, Reiki and now craniosacral therapy, I bought this practical book after reading "Waking the Tiger" as I have an interest in working with ex-service men and women suffering from post traumatic stress. At present PTSD is treated as a mental problem and very honest and well-meaning attempts are made to "fix" the problem at this level. I have experienced the complete shift a client can make by using bodywork to release trauma, and would recommend this little book to anyone starting out in this field.
on 7 July 2014
This is a wonderful book. As a therapist I encourage my clients to get hold of this book and work through the exercises. A very safe way of working with Trauma. It is one of the best self help books that I have read. Easy to understand, simple without being simplistic. And the exercises really work !
on 8 November 2011
This book is a must for anyone who has unexplained symtoms (especailly where the medical profession don't know the answer). It has an excellent detailed discusssin about how the body holds, and needs to release traumatic events. It also has an excellent CD which tralks you through the exercises.

I'd be interested to know if it helps others!
on 3 January 2016
This is a sensitive subject, and a difficult one to support effectively; however, this book, with it's accompanying CD, guide the reader (either therapist or victim) through some safe and releasing exercises, that both deal with the past held-onto trauma in the body and emotions, and provide tools for managing further experiences (of other trauma, or the same, but on another level; empowering confidence for the future. A genuinely supportive book and CD, from a man with vast experience and sensitivity to the subject.
on 16 December 2010
All traumawork starts in the body and goes up to the cortex - the human brain. This book is easy to read for lay persons and a deep source of knowledge for professional therapeuts. Enjoy the wisdom Peter Levine is trying to convey to us.
on 28 June 2013
This was very helpful to me for work purposes. It is clearly written and explains the process of trauma very well. It has been very helpful to me when working with my clients.
on 9 March 2012
I find this book very helpful in m y ongoing studies within my role as a Chaplain. I deal with many 'taruma' situations', and this book helps me deal with them a lot better than perhaps I could have otherwise. It's also good to have the CD with it, as listening can also be very theraputic, as well as a learning tool. Also this book has helped me review, and deal, some trauma that I went through 3-4 years back. I recommend this book for anyone having trauma problems to deal with, whether personally or though their work.
on 5 April 2013
I was a bit disappointed in the length of the book after I nearly bought the original; Healing the Tiger. this is a much shortened version which really relies on watching the CD which I haven't done yet. I will hope to get round to it soon.