on 7 July 2007
Tibetan flautist Nawang Khechog marks 20 years as a professional musician with his new release, Tibetan Mediation Music, a collection of 11 original compositions based on traditional meditative themes. The title might suggest otherwise, but except for sounds used to mark passages in services - such as gongs, bells, and trumpets - music is not a part of Buddhist mediation. It is employed here as the aural background to some of the more commonly used chants and prayers in the Tibetan tradition.

Nawang Khechog knows a bit about those, having in his youth been an ordained monk for 11 years. Among the pieces for which he has chosen to compose are chants to the Buddha, Manju Shri (the god of wisdom), Avalokiteshrava (the god of compassion), and Tara (a female goddess of compassion). There are also two songs based on classic Tibetan poetry, as well as a piece commissioned for the opening ceremony of a 2006 address from ten Nobel Peace Laureates.

Given its purpose, it's hardly surprising to find the music for this project is solemn and staid, built around Nawang's exceptional flute playing and his subdued, often whispered, chanting of the ancient invocations. Except for the marimba on The Great Prince of Peace, the music is played without rhythmic accompaniment and is adorned with bells, gongs and occasional sound effects, such as rolling thunder in The Perfection of Wisdom, or cowbells in Walking Into the Himalayas. These tonal explorations are enriched by the sound of violin, cello, and oud.

This is a lovely album of quiet music suitable for prayer, relaxation, yoga, or massage. It is can also be used to create a relaxing ambience for your work space.

#
11 Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 30 March 2009
Simply stunning. One thing you do not want when you are meditating is any sudden jarring sounds which bring you back from a place of peace to the concerns of the present. This CD fulfills in spectacular style what it sets out to do. The music is nonintrusive and calming which allows you to carry on either meditating or reading or relaxing and just listening. As you listen you may find images coming to mind of relaxing water with trees shrouded in mist or other calming images and that is OK too. The flute playing is soft and gentle and is in harmony with the rhythms of your heart. A wonderful CD for your meditative journey.
on 21 February 2008
In my opinion there is very little music truly suitable for meditation. One exception I can think of is Tony Scotts Music for Zen Meditation. This CD is remarkable. I read somewhere that it was like a cross between Nawang's sensational flute playing and Arvo Part's slow meditative music. That description comes very close. It is quite simply beautiful and the ideal accompaniment to meditation or just to listen to in order to relax. There are a few other instruments alongside the flute on this recording: cello, violin, oud, chimes. You would think that would be distracting or detract from the simple flute sounds, but it isn't and it doesn't. Someone on Amazon dot com wrote about how Nawang's chanting was too quiet. I think the hushed chanting of his beautiful language is stunning and I personally wouldn't want it any louder.
If you want peaceful, spiritual, slow music to really create space and stillness within, buy this CD. I am sure you won't be disappointed. I am off to look for his "Sounds of Peace" recording now.
11 Comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 April 2017
Nice music
on 7 August 2010
I had never heard of this man but on the strength of the other reviews it sounded like this CD was the sort of thing I was looking for.Listening to it for the first time,I can say I found the album quite beautiful to listen to.I also thought the whispered chants were very calming and comforting and as another reviewer said..I wouldnt have wanted them any louder.I am now considering buying more of his albums.
on 25 July 2011
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this CD, but from the first time I listened to it, I was completely captivated. It's dramatic, calming, peaceful and spiritual all in equal measure! It truly is beautiful and has enhanced my relaxation and mindfulness practices both personally and with groups that I teach. I would thoroughly recommend this CD.
on 29 September 2010
I was looking forward to this CD as I love the flute, and needed more meditation music. The flute playing is wonderful and exceptionally beautiful. What I wasn't expecting was the variety of accompaniments, like: female and male voice, spoken mantras, violin, cello, etc and THUNDER! I would never have chosen the sound of thunder reverberationg through the mountains as an aid to relaxation and meditation(!) But hey, one can learn new things! So initially I have struggled with the complexity of sound on this disc. As I listen to it more, I am finding that all the different sounds meld into one, supporting the sublime flute. So I may get to like it more and more. 4 stars for the effort put in, and of course the flute playing.
on 6 November 2010
It is difficult to find just the right music for meditation, deep contemplation and massage. I use this for all three and I highly recommend it. Excellent value.
on 29 September 2012
I mainly listened to this CD on long trips in my car, It really does relax you and put a smile on your face. I use it when I get back from work sometimes, even just for 15 minutes it really makes you feel relaxed and happy.

Worth the buy! And get some Sennheiser HD201 headphones, they are only about £12 on here, definately worth it!
on 14 March 2014
I love this CD as my first for meditation music. I find this perfect for the beginning or end of the day and choose the track to listen to according to the feeling when I look at the titles.
Beautiful, calming, peaceful and great for connecting with your inner voice.
Highly recommended.