on 8 April 2009
I was surprised that there was no review for this insightful and practical 'guide' on getting unstuck. The recording is from a talk that Pema Chodron did at Gampo Abbey and it spans 3 CDs (just over 3 hours). The journey she takes you on is very familiar to those who are stuck. She talks about the background 'scabies' in all our lives - those itches that we need to scratch and how we repeat patterns through continuously 'scratching'. And then the many ways in which we seek to distract ourselves from our scratching (symptoms of our problems) and that we focus on this rather than being present and sitting with our discomfort and uneasiness. I was particularly struck by this, both in terms of what I do as well as what I see friends and family doing - we tie ourselves in knots as we very 'directively' try to work our way through something...from analysing to evaluating to problem-solving to seeking the opinions of others. We cast around trying to fix it and make it go away. And yet nothing seems to shift it. What Pema Chodron very calmly and profoundly says is that we need to 'learn to stay'; to not deal with the content of what is happening but be with the root of it - the experience of the uneasiness. This is easier said than done! However, her warmth, humour and wisdom open up the possibility to begin this journey. I cannot recommend this CD highly enough, both in terms of the content and the very engaging style of Pema Chodron. If you find yourself feeling stuck, going through a time of change, or having difficult decisions to make then this will be a significant support. She is a wonderfully 'human' teacher and listening to these CDs has had a profound effect on both myself as well as friends & clients to whom I've recommended it. Whether you are Buddhist or not, this is a great work. And if you find this helpful, I would suggest you also get a couple of her books - Comfortable with Uncertainty and the Pocket Pema Chodron.
on 23 February 2010
Finally a word to explain that very painful process that happens in between stimulus and response. The process of getting carried away within ourselves and basically why we can't see the truth in things is explained so beautifully here. This is probably my favourite Pema audio book, and she is so much better to listen to than to read as her real humour and gentleness and eloquence comes out so much clearer.
on 11 January 2012
Fantastic cd.

I'm in Australia and it did take several weeks to get here, but aside from that I couldn't be happier with it.

I'd recommend this cd to anyone!

I've got 'When things fall apart' too - but I think I like 'Getting unstuck' slightly better.

Wonderful teachings from a very enlightened lady.
on 10 March 2012
what was it. it was here and now it is gone. what have amazon done with it - I have no idea what it was now