on 4 April 2011
I loved this book and spent time with the younger members of the family making their toys come to life...and then everybody wanted to join in...all sorts of objects were animated, it looks like it should just be for kids and the process and software is very easy to use, but actually kids are more sophisticated these days and they got to grips with it very quickly and preferred to use iMovie to output the results, but that said, on the whole people don't want to spend time reading a whole lot of stuff, you can pick this up and have an animation within hours.

If you want to know more or are just getting started with stop frame animation then buy this book .....a word of warning.... prepare to have a lot of fun!
on 1 January 2011
We have lots of Klutz books and this rates as one of the best. Easy to follow guides to making clever animation films. Easy to download free software. Despite us not having a suitable webcam we were able to produce great quality films with a digital camera. Highly recommended and a great alternative pastime for children to endless video games.
on 21 May 2012
I think the book is great, you can watch the videos on the internet to get a better idea on how the result will be.It gives great advice, it is creative etc.It is not only for kids, it can be fun for adults who are absolute beginners too.BUT, it promises us a free downloadable software.It took me only a few minutes to realize this is not the case...You have to buy the software.A totally misleading sentence on the cover of the book made me contact the company of this software and yes...you have to pay....However, it is a great book..
on 18 December 2014
Bought this book from TKmaxx. Absolutely brilliant. SAM animation free Software still exist, I downloaded samanimation-single Version 1.5.9.0 on december 2014 from http://sam-animation.software.informer.com/ . And you have to create account in http://icreatetoeducate.com/about/partners/klutz/ . They send you software activation key to your e-mail. I have Windows8 and it works perfectly wit SAM
on 1 January 2013
I bought this book for my fourteen year old nephew who is really into stop motion movies. This book was great it shows how to's in making movies and also has website details where you can view the movies you are making. I would recommend this to anyone buying for someone of a similar age range as some books on animation are a little more advanced,
on 2 January 2012
Father Christmas gave this to my 9 yr old son who wanted a book on animation. This hit the nail on the head and was far better than he was expecting. There are several videos on their website which are dissected in the book. The free software download is great and it means that he wont keep nicking my blackberry to make his films any more! You can use your webcam or a video camera that can do streaming videos. So far haven't tried it with a camera as the webcam is easy!
on 8 August 2014
Sadly the promised free software is no longer available, was asked to pay £11.99 which is pretty much the same as the price of the book. Had to bite the bullet as this was a present for my daughters 10th birthday.
on 4 January 2013
I use a lot of software for animation with primary school aged children. This book has it all, great ideas, clearly illustrated, how to animate, and software for your pc (online download), even a lump of clay for clamation on the front. Some of the pages pull out to help too but the best ideas involve imagination. If you want to start animating and don't know where to begin, teach animation, produce the next wallace and grommit, or simply want to encourage young minds to animate there can be few better books out there. The supporting website has fantastic resources too including the actual animations from the book and the software to download.
on 3 January 2013
My son loves this book. We bought it for his cousin for his birthday last year, and he has been desperate to buy it all year!
Since he has had it he has had hours of fun, cutting out all the bits, molding the Plasticine and reading the information. The website which shows the animations is great - but we have been using Microsoft Movie Maker to join the photos, as this is a program I am able to help him with. It has also got him in to making lego animations, which are great fun too!
on 3 July 2015
Bought this as a birthday gift for my grand daughter. it is ok and has lots of good ideas, but unfortunately each time we have tried to visit the website given in the book to access the animation programme for the computer, the website is "unavailable". Hence she has now lost interest in it and prefers the other animation gift she received instead. I guess we should keep trying, but there doesn't appear to be any contact details in the book in case of problems.