on 30 May 2016
This is an extremely good book for parents to read with children suffering from OCD. It is well written, in large text with brilliant exercises and pictures to involve the child fully in understanding the glitch in their brain, and how to resist their urges. Unless the OCD is very mild, the book will not work on its own - you will most likely need the help of a qualified registered CBT therapist, but this book is great for reading with your child, to reinforce the messages they receive from professional therapists. It is also great for children suffering relapses in OCD, to bring them back on track again. The parents also need to be trained by a CBT therapist to use the correct language when speaking to the child about OCD (you should talk about OCD as being a bully and that the child has to resist what the bully is telling the child to do; you have to show them that resisting only makes them anxious for a very short period of time and then the anxiety goes away; you have to take it slowly step by step and not try to tackle all the OCD at once; you have to learn to distract the child when they are anxious with various tools like colouring in, I-spy games etc, you have to learn never to say 'snap out of it' and never to get angry with the child over their OCD). OCD is complex, horrible, and has a nasty habit of coming back at times of stress, but this book has all the information you need. Thank you to the authors, if they ever read this review! I would also recommend going on OCD-UK's website. They offer invaluable information on how to find a CBT practitioner in your area, as well as a free Children's OCD guide which is also good, though not on the same scale as this book.
on 8 September 2014
Great explanation of what happens when afflicted by OCD. Really simple for 8-12 year old children to understand. Includes exremely effective exercises. A great resource for desparate parents waiting months for the NHS to treat their children.
on 29 December 2016
I work as a therapist and used principles from this book when working with a young person with OCD. This particular patient found it really helpful and particularly liked the metaphors used in this book. Would definitely recommend as a tool for therapists but also for families looking for self help materials.
on 24 September 2015
Well set out. Informative. Accessible. A very useful tool!
on 19 January 2010
My son (aged nine) has suffered from OCD since approx the age of five. He has seen specialists in this field which obviosuly have helped him with this 'disorder' however he could by no means manage the condition 100%.

I saw this book advertised and thought it would be worth getting..and yes it certainlly was. We are still reading the book at the moment(at chapter 8) however the chapters we have read have made a difference.

He no longer has to check to make sure he has all his teddys on the bed, he no longer has to call down the stairs to us asking what time we are going to come and see him.

This book should be made of gold its so good. The author is a genius and deserves 100% praise for such a good book!
on 21 June 2010
One evening my normally happy 10 year old son came down stairs after being in bed for 15 minutes in floods of tears saying his mind was telling him to keep checking under his bed, check the light, check his water glass and it was screaming at him to do it. He was distraught, it wouldn't shut up and we had no idea what to do. He'd be clutching his head in tears. He said it had been going on for several months. After a terrible few days and some research we found this book, along with a few others on Amazon including Talking Back to Ocd: The Program That Helps Kids and Teens Say "No Way" -- And Parents Say "Way to Go". We decided my son had OCD and was very anxious. This book gives an excellent strategy for dealing with OCD. It is split into chapters each building on a strategy to deal with OCD. We did find that there were lots of suggestions about other types of OCD which our son didnt have and which we didn't want to plant seeds in his mind about so we were careful about how we read the book and what information he saw. The overall strategy of both books is the same and whilst OCD is tough, we found if you tackle it with these strategies and persevere then it will subside. This book definitely threw us a lifeline!

Whilst this book was a great help, after a year or so we did have to seek professional help from a psychologist. We found the advice from a third party was invaluable, giving a clear path and strategy to deal with the problem. I would say to anyone with this sort of issue with their child the sooner you seek professional help the sooner you and the child will have the right toolkit to deal with the problem. The NHS did not help us it was just taking to long, so we found a private psycholgist. Not cheap but well worth the price to help our child. :-)
on 18 June 2015
Perfect for my 9 year old. This is now the 3rd book of this series we have tried. The sleep one (what to do when you dread your bed) has worked a treat we have gone from having to be in the same bed to now being downstairs and doing 15 minute checks. The worry book was equally good with lots of ideas to help. We are half way through this book now and although I know overcoming her ocd is going to take time and hard work this book approaches it again in the step by step manner we are used to. She has had therapy and it wasn't until we got this book that it all made sense. It is very helpful to me as a parent too as it explains what her brain is doing in a very simple way. Fingers crossed it continues to work as things are so much better at the moment. Thank you Dawn Humber!
on 3 November 2013
This book is fantastic! I bought this for my 7 year old who is showing OCD traits. This book gave us both a sense of relief from the moment we read it. My boy loved doing the book and following the tasks and it has helped loads. It is by no means a cure but it certainly put us on the right track. I would highly recommend this book.
on 3 December 2012
Bought this book after reading the reviews to read with my teenage son who has recently developed OCD. This book is full of pages that allow children to write or draw in response to questions asked of them about their OCD which my son didn't want to do. However, younger children may find this useful as might their parents as some of your own questions may well be slowly answered as you work your way through the book. I wanted to use the book to explore ways of putting my son in charge of his OCD and back in charge of his life.
However, this book on its own will probably not be the complete solution and I still feel Cognitive Behaviour Therapy is really important for the child and parents if you are trying to deal with OCD.
on 24 March 2012
I bought this for my son who is just beginning to have some OCD traits at 5 yrs old. I think its too old for him at the moment but its a great book for informing parents even if your little ones arent mature enough to do some of the exercises...and im hoping will prepare me to help him prevent them evolving further. Wish there was an 'english' version as the terminology is american and would just be confusing for my son at this stage.