on 3 November 2005
I bought level 3 as a self studying student wanting to improve my listening skills but the set gave no opportubnity to do this. There were no dialouges or any such stuff just single sentences in japanese and english failing to froperly explain grammar points.
There is no reason to buy this CD set.
on 12 January 2006
This is by far the best set of language tapes that I have used in a car. They can be used without needing to refer to any printed references, although the accompanying booklets are useful to check things that are a little difficult to catch with the ear.
The English word (s) are spoken by an American man on the RH channel and the Japanese equivalent is spoken by a lady on the LH. The channels aren't quite balanced so the sound level isn't perfect. I have only got through disc one (of nine) in about three months, (not much driving) but each time I play it through I feel that I am making some progress in learning the spoken vocabulary and some good phrases.
The other advantage is that there are no long musical interludes between sections - sometimes used on other learning systems.
on 21 November 2013
OK I knew what I wanted so I can't complain about that. I wanted Japanese vocabulary on mp3 so i could play it in the back ground when I study or run etc and with this I got exactly what I wanted. The man says the word in English, the woman repeats in Japanese. That is all you get with this course, but that is what i wanted. This course is JUST to improve your vocab, it will NOT teach in the traditional way of going to a station and buying a ticket etc. But for people like me who are a bit ahead of total beginners it's something what I wanted so can't complain.It also comes with a pdf.

My only gripes with this version is that you have to a) create an audible account and b) it downloads in one massive 3 hour audio file which is just plain dumb. So I can't play individual tracks or say loop the first ten minutes. That is a big mistake. I will have to put it into my own editing software and break it up into tracks myself..pain in the botty. There is a version on this Level 1 in the Amazon mp3 library which looks like its in separate tracks so my advice is buy that instead of this one massive audio file
In order to play this I also had to authorize my i tunes with audible and I don't like that either, will this transfer over to my mp3 now, I am not sure it will unless I spend an hour re-editing it myself and re-saving it and that wasn't what I wanted to do. Anything with copyright control which makes it hard to switch files over different devices I generally stay clear off because it becomes a pain. Note: Just tried to open this file in my editing software and it has copyright control and won't open so I'll have to go old fashioned and play it in in full! Avoid this version and buy the other version. There's a few hours there of my time breaking this down into individual tracks and I won't be using audible again.
But back to the course itself, simple and basic and just what i wanted.