Showing 1-1 of 1 reviews(3 star). See both reviews
on 13 September 2007
Having read many of the CSS books on the shelf I became intrigued to see a new offering sub-titled "Real-world CSS techniques for real-world CSS professionals!" Many of the popular books currently available are aimed at beginners and intermediates, and carry pretty much the same content. Once you've read two or three of these and put it into practice you can soon become competent at producing clean, semantic CSS & XHTML layouts to web standards. The desire is to then seek some more advanced techniques to develop your skills, hence my interest in this book.

Much of the book covers topics I've read in others already, but there are some areas of interest. However, some of these techniques it states don't work on Internet Explorer versions 6 or 7! Being a `real-world CSS professional' I know that despite web designers and developers hating IE with a passion it is still the most popular browser and curse as much as you please we still need to design for it. In time, obviously, IE will support CSS3 (we hope) and many of our prayers will be answered, but look how long it took Microsoft to upgrade from IE6 to IE7 and even then it didn't fully support CSS2!

Now if I was to strip out these sections together with the content I've already digested from other books I'm not really left with much to justify the cover price. I feel a little disloyal to Jeff Croft and Dan Rubin as I'm subscribed to both their blogs, but I would recommend CSS Mastery as being a far more useful book for the intermediate web designer.