on 21 March 2009
Of all the CSS books I've bought and burnt the midnight oil with [so far] this is without doubt the best. It does not mess about. It tells you how to do it, why to do it and then does it with a short simple example. Bit by bit these small nibbles of concentrated information forms bites, then gradually, almost without you noticing, the CSS concept comes into focus.

This book is simple and straight forward. You will learn easily and without cranial auto-depilatory concerns. I recommend it highly. Why not 5 stars? It's a little short and needs more depth for true Nirvana. However, it comes real close. Want the whole 9-yards? Then get this to start with and then CSS - The missing Manual.
VINE VOICEon 16 August 2010
I really like this book. When i started with CascadingStyle Sheets, I have problems wrappimg my head around pseudo selectors and Absolute and Relative position. Even after I started understanding them. With this book and HTML and CSS The Complete Reference by Powell, I finally conqured style sheets. After reading this book, and folowing along with the exercises, I can now code my own column based CSS Layouts, aw well as produce CSS drop-down menus that use pseudo selectors. The book is concise and in some cases I could not find certain this I wanted, but that's why you need more than one book so that they complement.
on 3 November 2011
Exactly what I wanted.
If like me you've been trying to pick up CSS from blogs, tutorials and forums, then this is about filling in the blanks and giving confidence.

If you are in the same boat then you need a book at this level - and I think this is brilliantly written and full of stuff that's still relevant even though it was written in 2006 - a real bargain.

Also there's a lot of people out there using browsers that can only support CSS 2.1 - if you want to reach them then this book is necessary.
on 29 October 2007
I needed to quickly create a horizontal menu from a list - just cut and pasted the code from the examples. Worked perfectly.

Then I needed a centered design with a two column layout. Took me 15 minutes from start to finish by reading the chapter on layouts.

This book is superb. It has saved me hours of faffing around with divs and has helped me eliminate tables from my layouts. Superb. Read with Transcending CSS.

Read this book, master CSS, make your sites XHTML compliant and render fast. Its worth the effort to separate structure from design. Took me a while to get my head around it - but it all makes sense now.
on 4 April 2013
I designed an update to my wife's Bridalwear website using the advice contained in this book. The routines covered enabled me to make faster code and do some startling things. It also gives advice on how to deal with quirky problems in various browsers. I am glad I bought this book.
on 4 September 2017
good
|0Comment|Report abuse
on 30 May 2011
This is a great book if you're looking to sharpen-up, or completely learn to use CSS, the strange this is that there isn't really very much to CSS, so you could probably do every example within a day, at no fault of the book though.

I've learned a few (better) ways of doing things, and keep it as a casual reference.
on 5 October 2013
This book is straight forward, well written explanations throughout the book help a user to gain a quick understanding of CSS. Highly Recommended
on 10 January 2016
Don't remember purchasing this
on 19 April 2006
I have been using CSS in as advanced a way as I can for the last three or so years. This book brings techniques, hacks, work arounds and good design principles together ina practical and easily accessible way. Written for thosem with some CSS experience yet always goes back to the baseline in describing why we might choose to use one fo a variety of means of geting round known problems. An excvellent book that helps push the envelope just that little bit further. I have not been so pleased with a design techniques book for a long time.