Customer reviews

Pro PHP Security
Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 January 2006
I am currently developing an e-commerce application for the first time. Shortly after starting I realised that I would need to know something about security in order to safely handle customers' details, including credit cards. This book provides an excellent introduction to the world of cryptography and security in general, and then specifically focusses on how to implement it in a PHP environment.
After reading the relevant chapters, I was able to build a robust and secure encryption/decryption routine, using both symmetric and asymmetric algorithms. As well as this I was able to generate my own SSL certificates and set up a SSL webserver on my dev machine. None of this would have been possible without the data I learned in this book.
On top of the practical help I got, the book is also well written and got me genuiunely interested in the background and theory behind all the various aspects of computer and internet security, from protecting sensitive data, to preventing malicious attacks such as XSS or SQL injection. Much of this has been implemented in my application, which should be pretty heavy-duty when I'm done.
on 17 January 2006
I am currently developing an e-commerce application for a large UK company. As this is my first project of this kind, I had little experience when it came to securing my apps, which is obviously a very important consideration when dealing with thousands of credit cards.
After reading this book, and with a little help from the internet, I have built a solid encryption/decryption system using both symmetric and asymmetric algorithms. I was also able to set up an SSL server on my development system. I had no clue about any of this stuff previously.
The book also covers many other aspects of security, such as cross-site scripting (XSS) and SQL injection. I was able to use what I learned to successfully comprimise my own app - a little worrying, but preferable to evil-hackers.org getting in there first. Suffice to say, I have patched up everything that I found, and now security is at the front of my mind when I am writing new code.
On top of the practical benefits, the book also gives an interesting background to such things as cryptography and the history of hacks. I am giving it 4, not 5, simply because I found it sometimes a little too unix-centric for a windows user like me. This is fair enough, seeing as the majority of php sites will be running on a unix-based production server, but if you are relatively new to unix, then some parts of this book may baffle you.
on 11 September 2010
This review is based only on the sample pages that I read on my Kindle and not on the entire book.

I felt that the content of the book was too unfocused and the style of writing very rambling. I chose not to buy the book.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse