on 12 December 2015
a beautiful practical and gentle book - a series of talks - and a different, realistic perspective about meditation about someone who really knows. It explains some of the paradoxes of the aspirations of meditation. I found it helpful and realistic. Meditation in our fast-forward world it is not as easy as we assume until we start to see ourselves as the top priority on our own world.
on 4 January 2013
Reading this book for the first time is like going on a journey - after each page your understanding of Buddhism and of yourself has changed. I would recommend this to everyone, Buddhist or not Zen Mind will likely change your life. The style of prose is incredibly radiant and friendly so in that sense it is perfect for the beginner yet also perfect for the long time practitioner whom has grown tired of the regimented style of a lot of Buddhist books. Its amazing that even though Zuzuki could not speak English very well his use of the language itself allows his ideas and insights to penetrate to the core of your being. This book is best served with regular meditation.
on 30 May 2017
Just what I needed
on 4 May 2017
This has become my bible. Timeless wisdom. Can read it on a daily basis prior to meditation. Highly recommended.
on 26 February 2017
Read this and bliss excellence. Then...
on 1 October 2015
Super boring, the author makes the same point throughout the whole book, again and again until you can't take it anymore. But I certainly learned a lot about doing things. I think I try to be more open since I read it, in my work and also with people and in general. I don't categorise stuff quite as much and don't make opinions that would limit my own development.

I think it helped me in my work and in life. I think it helped me to just stop and reconsider a lot of stuff constantly, brake my opinions that limit the way I think rather than create new ones.

Workwise, it made me a bit more creative. I wouldn't attribute too much to it though, as I've been reading other stuff in the meantime. Still, despite being super boring, pretty good book.
on 16 January 2016
OK
on 29 April 2017
Interesting
on 24 October 2012
As an introductory book to Zen Buddhism, this is quite daunting or useless. The publishing industry seems to have cashed into the misconception that this this is a book for beginners because it has "Beginner's Mind" in the title. This book is really not where you should be starting as the first point for any sort of reading on Buddhism - Zen or not. I'd recommend reading something else first, actually attending a zazen session somewhere and *then* reading this book to get the full impact.

Suzuki's talks are very elliptical and it can sometimes be hard to decipher, but I think the spirit of the book is that you shouldn't even *try* to decipher it. Rather, just try to *feel* what his words mean. I can see myself re-reading this book many times and it illuminating something new each time.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2011
I have to admit that I read some other reviews and I agree that the book seems for some people very confusing and "waste of paper". This is because the author takes for granted that one has already some sense of Zen, for him Zen is like his own flesh and bones. If one opens it as his first Zen book is like to learn swimming in the midst of Atlantic ocean: you need first a shallow beach. It could neither be your second nor your third Zen book, one needs more Zen "education" to find this book attractiv. For that reason I strongly recommand as the first Zen lecture the "Bible" of that kind of books, "The Way of Zen" by Alan W. Watts, a really great book, written by a westerner for westerners.
This book caresses gently the heart of Zen, but only if one thinks meditative, otherwise this book will be just another book: the mere rational western thinking is not enough.
One could ask: "Why should I buy a Zen book if I already know much about Zen?"
It sounds like: "Why should I study, if I already can read and write?"
You buy this book not for learning how to read and write, but for useing your knowledge on reading and writing for studying.