on 31 January 2018
This is lovely. Just what I was looking for to deepen my knowledge and understanding of Zen. It's simply written and as easy to understand as Zen can be. Am already feeling the benefits. It's a book to keep by your bedside and dip into. Highly recommended.
on 12 December 2015
a beautiful practical and gentle book - a series of talks - and a different, realistic perspective about meditation about someone who really knows. It explains some of the paradoxes of the aspirations of meditation. I found it helpful and realistic. Meditation in our fast-forward world it is not as easy as we assume until we start to see ourselves as the top priority on our own world.
on 23 July 2013
I know it sounds a bit OTT but as someone who is not religious, this book perfectly exemplifies how we could ideally live our lives. As meditator for 20 years, my state of mind is very important for my sense of peace, wellness and productivity. Suzuki Roshi takes me to my personal nirvana within a few lines of any of the beautiful passages. It has so much depth that I have been perpetually reading this book for more than 17 years and continue to learn from it. Probably read it 100+ times. I've read hundreds of buddhist and zen books. This is the one you want.
on 4 January 2013
Reading this book for the first time is like going on a journey - after each page your understanding of Buddhism and of yourself has changed. I would recommend this to everyone, Buddhist or not Zen Mind will likely change your life. The style of prose is incredibly radiant and friendly so in that sense it is perfect for the beginner yet also perfect for the long time practitioner whom has grown tired of the regimented style of a lot of Buddhist books. Its amazing that even though Zuzuki could not speak English very well his use of the language itself allows his ideas and insights to penetrate to the core of your being. This book is best served with regular meditation.
on 16 September 2017
Very interesting but I will have to read it again to fully understand. My youngest grandson ( 21 years old) has introduced me to the book, I think he is more intelligent than I am. I want to understand why he has chosen the Buddhist way of life.
on 3 January 2018
Well this is a wonderful book, the original edition, revised, but with that lovely portrait of Shnryu Suzuki on the back cover. Very special. What more can I say but many thanks for the reasonable price.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 September 2013
This particular book, is not only specified for
Buddhists. Which would make for it an
excellent purchase.
It simply describes the ways in which
people make their lives harder or
easier depending on their overall
outlook and usage of actually stepping back,
taking a few breaths, and making
a logical/calm/focused decision.
on 10 October 2017
Buy this book and it will change your life !!!!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 13 March 2018
I've read this book three times, and I know I will read it again. Don't try to understand it; just read it.
on 5 January 2008
This was the first book on Zen I read, and I found it simply amazing.
Not only is the message of Zen made clear in content, but - crucially - the language and style of the text is so much part of what Suzuki has to offer.

I definitely recommend this book by one of the most influential Zen teachers of the western world. It is a canonical piece of work for Westerners wanting to learn more about Zen philosophy.

The book so inspired me last summer that I included many references to it in my dissertation on the concept of 'effort' in geography at university.