Customer reviews

on 6 July 2011
Although I knew how to make bread before I bought this book, I can say with certainty that Edward Epse's excellent advice has taken my baking skills onto a whole new level. There are so many wonderful recipes in here including Swedish rye bread (with orange peel and caraway seeds - yum!), oat bread, rosemary foccacia, unyeasted Tibetan barley bread and muffins, cakes, pastries and many more. Bread making is something I find to be very therapeutic and to have a delicious loaf at the end of it is a great bonus. It is much easier than many people would think (seriously, you really don't need a bread maker - use your hands to feel the beautiful texture of just-risen dough) and this book is all you need to explore baking for the rest of your life. As if all the practical and down-to-earth instruction on kneading and proving wasn't enough, Epse adds little nuggets of Zen wisdom and poetry in amongst it all to keep your kitchen a calm place. There really aren't enough books in existence like this one. It's a gem.
on 4 November 2015
Bread-making using the "sponge" method. It requires and extra proving, so takes time but you can do other things while its rising, and it's almost foolproof.

It includes recipes for nearly every kind of bread, from Serious Loaves of Wholemeal, to frivolous party bread.
on 24 October 2015
I haven't actually used this book yet! However, I like what I've read and it's very unusual. I will try it, but find bread is quite time consuming to make and I don't have much time these days, but did when I ordered it!
on 5 August 2017
Great bread book from the days gone by.
on 6 December 2014
when you read the book you feel that this man loves his profession, he writes simple and clear and promotes the curiosity and the freedom to experiment with his recipes.
A very nice book
on 13 February 2017
Best bread book ever, rediscovered after a 40 year gap.
on 17 March 2015
Very pleased to have found this book, have been baking bread of a couple of years now thanks to Paul Hollywood and this is an excellent book to expand my baking knowledge with new techniques and recipes. Bought the book used through Awesome Books and was very pleased with their service. I really look forward to getting into this book.
on 21 October 2016
Excellent
on 21 October 2013
For me this is such a classic....a must have. Tons of different kinds of bread.....lots of ideas for creative baking....especially for the winter when staying at home and baking is a wonderful, warm and cosy activity!
on 11 June 2013
Like many people I was re-ordering this volume, having owned a copy many years ago - and it was what got me into baking. However, it really is about time that this iconic book had English and/ or metric measurements, or at the least a conversion table.