Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 26 February 1999
Enlightening ! Full of Wisdom ! Buy It ! Make a Difference ... for your self ... and for society ! This book was first given to me by a Tibetan Master, Jamgon Kongtrul Rinpoche, in 1985 when I asked him about Shambala (the enlightened society). Jamgon Kongtrul was a living example of compassion and wisdom. Even though he did not know me as I was just one among one a crowd, he immediately gave me this enlightening book. Since then, I have been buying it and giving it to many people. It is his legacy. (Trunpa and Jamgon comes from the same Tibetan Buddhist lineage.) This book is not about following a religious dogma or path. It is about how to live a dignified and meaningful human existence. The sacred warrior is not only brave and honorable but gentle and kind at the same time. The sacred warrior do not live in a world of deceit and superficiality. She or he is a geniune human being who is always considerate to others and her/his environment. Trungpa says that the bravest warrior is the one who can open her/his heart to others and wears no masks nor armor to hide her/his weakness. We all have the inherent potential to be sacred warriors. And by doing so, we will help contribute to make the world a better place to live in. Trunpa says that instead of trying very hard to change other people, our society, our families, and situations, we should first change ourselves and our negative attitudes first. It is only when we change our innermost selves and our myopic views of life that we can make a difference and geniunely help transform our society to a better place to live in. When we choose to be sacred warriors, that will be our lifelong existentialist quest. Be prepared for a new way of living human existence.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 August 2009
This is a great book by a Tibetan Buddhist meditation master, teacher, and artist and author of Meditation in Action and Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism, rather than meditation or buddhism the insights in this book are derived from warrior traditions and aim to transcend a single creed or culture.

As stated on the blurb on the back of the book itself "The warrior discovers the basic goodness of human life and radiates that goodness out into the world for the peace and sanity of others.". This will not particularly satisfy anyone who has become aggrieved with trends in publishing which promise that anyone and everyone either can be or already are warriors but I would hope that they would not be deterred from reading this book.

Infact I would hope that it reaches as wide an audience as possible, it is very clearly and congenially written, the style is very engaging and easy, without any great repetition between chapters or anything else likely to put off any other than a dedicated reader.

The has a great, clear contents page, list of illustrations, afterword, list of resources comprising contact addresses, websites, e-mails, fax and phone numbers and finally a two page piece about the author. There is no index which is a shame but its omission does not spoil the book.

The book is divided into three parts, part one "How to Be a Warrior" deals with creating an enlightened society, discovering basic goodness, the genuine heart of sadness, fear and fearlessness, synchronising mind and body, renunciation, daring, celebration and letting go.

This is not a collection of vagaries and esoteric or meandering writing which will baffle as much as clarify any reader, there are some analogies and stories but each page just serves to create or support the reader's enthusiasm. While I recommend this book to the general reader there are chapters which will appeal to anyone interested in Zen disciplines, practical meditation or even Jungian psychology such as the one on synchronising mind and body.

Part two, deals with "Sacredness: The Warrior's World", comprising Nowness, Discovering Magic, How to Invoke Magic, Overcoming Arrogance, Overcoming Habitual Patterns, Sacred World, Natural Hierarchy and How to Rule.

This chapter is very interesting since I saw some parallels with the writings of existentialists or others dealing with issues such as terminal illness and/or life threatening challenges. I read these chapters as positive encouragement to overcome the tendency of being lulled into a near "sleep-walking" state of being. Again it is easy reading.

Part three, is "Authentic Prescence", comprising The Universal Monarch, Authentic Prescence and The Shambhala Lineage and deals with a lot of the inspiration of the author, the Shambhala idylic warrior society.

As I have said I recommend this to the general reader because it has so much great advice on how to live as full, authentic and rewarding a life as possible. It will also be much appreciated by fans of other martial arts or martial spirit reads such as Zen in the Martial Arts,Clearing Away Clouds: Nine Lessons for Life from the Martial Arts or Zen in the Art of Archery: Training the Mind and Body to Become One (Arkana).

I also thought that some aspects of the book corresponded to what I had read in Zen Buddhism and Psychoanalysis (Condor Books) by Eric Fromm and some of Jung's psychological writing, at least in so far as each dealt with mind and personal growth and development.
on 19 May 1998
This book gives a introductory into a topic that can not be comprehended by books alone. It shows you how to take joy in whatever the situation, as well as the vastness of our minds. Although this book doesn't actually show you how to discover and invoke magic, it does start you on the path to discovering it yourself. I am finding it easier to go to bed, to wake up, and to leave stress at the place I recieved it. Colors have more of a burning sensation in my mind rather than just a natural ability that I haven't given a thought to since birth. It incorporates the real world into the world of Shambhala. Another great thing is through the meditation techniquies given in the text, I can sleep for six hours and feel like ten. I definatly recommend this book for the beginning Shambhala warrior, the person who feels they are drowning in their own world, or the average person who wants an enlightening experience.
on 9 July 1998
"The Shambhala teachings are founded on the premise that there is basic human wisdom that can help to solve the world's problems. This wisdom does not belong to any one culture or religion, nor does it come only from the West or the East. Rather, it is a tradition of human warriorship that has existed in many cultures at many times throughout history". - Chogyam Trungpa
The book looks at the principles of warriorship, and this is non-aggressive, no swords and daggers here.
I read this book and it was like having spent my whole life walking from place to place. Then one day being given a bicycle to travel around. And one night, whilst asleep, dreaming of the awesome speed I was now able to travel at, someone sneaks into my garage and fits a turbo charged, jet powered, rocket engine.
I would recommend this book to anyone, and have been doing, if you are reading this now then your search is complete, there is no need to go any further. Put it in your shopping basket and get ready for the rollercoaster ride of your life.
on 15 February 2008
Whole-heartedly recommend this book! Sound advice, delivered in a warm and sincere way, almost like hearing it from a firm, yet loving grandparent.

Firstly talking through the reluctance to leave the warm, familiar darkness of `The Cocoon', symbolically representing the ignorance of denial, then leading through the journey towards `The Eastern Sun', helping open up a more enlightened viewpoint along the way.

Including developing loving kindness/ raising the strength of `Wind Horse' energy/ establishing the right perspective to walk tall with confidence/ guidance on how to represent yourself physically in the world/ awareness of the characteristics of the true warrior/ understanding fearlessness as moving through and beyond your restrictions.

Emphasis is given to learning the wisdom of accepting self-responsibility and knowing that the foundation of all spiritual growth is firstly attending to ones own problems, fears and behavior. Recognizing that before we can try to solve these things in the world around us, we ourselves must be acting from a place of peaceful open willingness.

Contact details of international groups following 'The path of the Warrior' can be found at the back of the book.
on 11 July 2007
Sublime book. Easy to understand and written with amazing clarity. For anyone who wants to understand about enlightenment whilst living a normal life read this book.
on 23 January 2015
This is an astonishing book that i have bought and reread several times, the latest time for my Kindle. This is something that I have only done a few times in my life, this is one of those rare and special volumes which must be read.
on 31 March 2011
If you have any spiritual aspirations, this book is a must read. Clear, direct & full of compassion. The starting point is having compassion for ourselves, accepting the one who we see in the mirror every day, warts & all! Think you're unworthy or lack self confidence? Buy this book & learn to be kind to yourself, you deserve it...
on 18 November 2013
If you haven't read Chogyam trungpa I feel sorry for you. The book itself is small and cheap, but the content is mind blowing and potentially life changing
on 30 October 2014
Wow, I have just completed my first reading of this book and know that I will read it again and again... It feels familiar, like something you always knew and remembered and yet I have read nothing like this before. Things I took as quirks of nature and have never been able to speak to anyone else about have been revealed on the page...and I know that what is written about is true...even if I have only had glimpses of something amazing beyond my knowledge. I am driven to search some more.