Customer reviews

on 25 October 2012
Having read virtually everything by Pema Chodron, I had heard of the author Dzigar Kongtrul. The book is really good and though quite short it explains Buddhism in a more modern way than many other books with a compelling authenticity. I found myself reading each paragraph twice :)
on 3 December 2013
A guided tour of samsara, yes in one way, but this particular analysis is somewhat skewed, this I found also in other works e.g. Pema Chodron. There is a very moral bias that is out of sorts with real, in depth penetration. Samsara as concept is one sided, not the real analysis of the everyday world we experience, which is unfathomable, nor is about the absolute "why" this universe exists at all. I say this as the analysis I have in my time read many Buddhist texts, Sutras, and different schools.
Firstly the the whole dynamic is not about the endless analysis of one's existence in a concept called samsara, but what is actually prevalent.
My favourite reality/koan is Zen master Joshu when asked about meditation said, no not meditation "it's real, it's real" Again Joshu's "Mu" the finality of the heart sutra mantra, gone beyond.
I love the Tibetan Buddhist analysis, yet few hold a candle to Chogyam Trungpa, whose writings are impenetrable. I mean this in the most respective and dare I say "Zen" ways.
The book is a good introduction to "samsara" but real penetration is for masters such as Chogyam Trungpa, Suzuki Roshi Tibetan gurus and the Zen Tang masters.
on 6 September 2015
good product, arrived in the time specified
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse