Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2012
The Yoga Sutras's of Patanjali are recognised as one of the most ancient timeless teachings of all times. Chip Hartranft's new translation has already become one of the best contemporary interpretations of the Sutras. This book has first priority on the reading list I hand out to my students, as well as it has profoundly inspired my work as a lecturer in Eastern philosophy and Eastern psychology . I highly recommend it to everyone who values the teachings of the Sutra's.
on 6 October 2014
The guy at the end of the phone was saying, "Chip who?" in a tone that implied 'we don't sell books by people with names like that.'

"Hartranft," I repeated patiently. It was not, after all, a very English name and this was a very English bookseller, Watkins, no less.

"How do you spell that?" he asked disinterestedly. I spelled it slowly and he went away mumbling to either himself or another employee something about 'stupid bloody name...'

It took him a while to find the title and - presumably after perusing some of the text - returned in an improved, deferential way saying it had been a new name to him but was clearly a very good translation. It sounded like an apology and I was gratified that my bookseller's consciousness had expanded a little from the encounter,

That was ten years ago when I was twenty years younger and practised an early morning demanding yoga regime. Hartranft's translation made Patanjali very accessible and studying it was part of a life changing experience. I cannot honestly say I have read it recently but its wisdom has sunk into my soul and wrought a gradual change so that I am not the person I used to be wrapped up in the nugatory preoccupations that chained me.

I have read other translations - and there are many - of Patanjali but this is the best I have come across. The thing about Eastern philosophy and spiritual practises is that they are designed for the Eastern temperament. The Western character is very different and needs a somewhat different approach. Hartranft's book takes this difference into account and brings the original text brilliantly to life for us Occidentals. You could get a word-for-word translation of this classic that would leave you cold. This one won't.
on 1 March 2013
I read a section of this every morning. The author provides a translation that easily speaks and follows with thoughtful, meaningful commentary. When I bought it, I was hoping for just the Yoga-Sutra, what I got was much more and I'm thankful for that.
on 17 November 2012
A Buddhist perspective on the Yoga Sutras. Bringing a different perspective to the Sutras than other translations and more emphasis on the 3rd and 4th chapters.
on 1 April 2016
from the excerpts I can see here, not a literal translation. Stoller Miller, Satchidananda, Bryant look closer to the original
on 3 February 2014
Great book with a down to earth and relatable commentary. I would recommend this book to anyone on the path.
on 16 November 2015
Good copy, good translation, seemed to take longer than normal to arrive
on 5 May 2016
a wonderful book, everybody should read it.
on 9 June 2013
Too early to review
Whatever I have read, I have liked,primarily because it is only the second time I have laid hands on Patanjali's truly extraordinary work which he so selflessly put together for the guidance of humanity,as long there is,humanity
A simple and concise effort. However,would have preferred more detailed and realistic explanation of the time factor that each stage might take a beginner to evolve through
especially because this experience is not sensory,hence,a totally new dimension of which the reader has no awareness of.Otherwise the reader might discontinue reading and the practice. I feel the primary idea of writin should be to transmit information to help the reader to achieve not only to sell the books!
It is meant to be a constructive opinion