on 26 September 2011
On the whole I found this enjoyable and easy to read, particularly the section on student life in Cambridge and work with the Footlights.

HOWEVER... Fry describes the development of his career in detail, and his book is sprinkled with the names of actors, writers, plays and TV programmes. Since I myself did not live in the UK during the eighties, many of these names mean very little to me. No doubt it would all be very fascinating for a reader who had some memory or knowledge of the personalities involved, but not for me. (I did find his descriptions interesting when I actually knew who or what he was talking about, for instance "Blackadder".)

Fry was successful more or less right from the moment he left university, and quickly became extremely wealthy. He used his money in what he himself admits was a trivial way, spending it on expensive houses, cars, clubs, and the latest technology. He spends a great deal of time - too much - explaining how in spite of his success and wealth, he is plagued by a sense of failure, of being a fraud, of not really belonging in the worldly circles in which he appears to move with such ease. No doubt this is perfectly sincere, no doubt it is also worth saying, but I got bored long before he'd finished saying it.

The Kindle formatting is OK on the whole, but it isn't able to cope with a speech from one of his plays and the text of a magazine article. They are not distinguished visually from the surrounding text, which particularly in the case of the speech is confusing, as it takes the reader a minute to realise that this is not actually Fry speaking. Kindle still needs to refine its formatting.

I would give this 3½ stars. Since I have to choose between rounding up and rounding down, I prefer to round down. It doesn't reach 4, as far as I'm concerned.
on 26 June 2015
I didn't find it as enthralling as his first volume of autobiography. A lot of it is a role-call of names of people no doubt well known in the television industry, but not terribly interesting. He explains his passions and addictions, all with a candour which we have come to admire him for. And of course his dexterity with language is wonderful. But somehow it lacks any real fire. Oh well, perhaps the years described in this book just weren't as interesting to read about, somehow, as the obsessive passion in Moab is my Washpot, his first volume of autobiography.
on 29 September 2014
It's certainly readable and has a number of laugh out loud anecdotes. It does come across as a bit smug though (in fairness Fry recognises this in suitably self-deprecating way). I'm not normally a lover of autobiographies and although, as you might reasonably expect, Fry delivers the genre better and more entertainingly than most it didn't convert me. It ends with Fry's first encounter with cocaine which, as this week's press makes clear, is then fully covered and more in what is volume three of this series.
on 11 January 2018
I have always liked Stephen's on screen persona and this book has proved a great way of learning more about this fascinating person.

It is, so far, the longest book I have read and yet I was still disappointed when it, rather abruptly, ended.

I would recommend this book unreservedly and can't wait to read another of his works.
on 13 January 2016
I believe Stephen King once said that he could publish his shopping list and it would be a best seller. I'm afraid the same is true of Stephen Fry, but despite that I must admit I couldn't stop reading, even though it is Mr Fry being totally self indulgent; lots of name dropping and apologetic lovie talk. Must be something to do with the magnificent use of the English language which, as always is intoxicating ....
on 12 January 2016
I am a fan of Stephen Fry and I enjoyed reading this book, which gives the impression that he is standing in front of you giving an account of his life. To those that are unfamiliar to the man, the style of the book may seem to ramble on about seeming meaningless incidents in one person's life.
on 11 February 2015
this is a really good book ,steven fry has a way with words which i suppose it makes him a good writer from the start,there are two other volumes to come out yet, and ,i will be buying the two,this book starts where he was born ,but, it moves on quickly and it stops at the point when he is about thirty,i would recommend this to everyone even if youre not a fan of his
on 5 September 2011
In comparison with Moab I found this second installment rather disappointing on a number of levels. It has a rather hurried feel to it, certain anecdotes from Moab are repeated for no apparent reason (was his editor too lazy or perhaps overawed to point this out?) and it is in my view nothing like as funny or well-written. Perhaps Stephen simply did not enjoy writing it as much. He is of course not the same person as he was at the time of writing Moab all those years ago. I mean to say that if Moab had been written later and Chronicles earlier, perhaps both books would have turned out quite differently.
Moab is in my opinion a work of comic genius and extremely moving; Chronicles is more mundane and nothing like as personal. In fact it is almost defiantly impersonal. Let us just say it is a different sort of book.
Nevertheless, if you are a Fry fan you will enjoy *and learn* from this book! For that reason I still recommend it, but I am now glad that I did not splash out on the hardback version last Christmas....
on 6 November 2010
Over the years I've enjoyed Stephen Fry's TV appearances and it was nice to go behind the scenes and see how it all came about. He writes as he speaks and has a way with words that just floats over me. The story gets a little luvie part way though but its Stephen Fry and if anyone can be luvie its him. I don't wish to take anything away from the book but the price on the Kindle is just outrageous. I managed to buy it early on before the publishers started price fixing but I feel I must mention it.
on 13 July 2016
An interesting insight to one of the life of the witty, and intelligent man that is Stephen Fry