Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 1 December 2017
I had heard good things about this book over many years, however found it didn't live up to my expectations. When read to a 4 and 6 year old they struggled to keep interest. I feel they became overwhelmed with different names, and the storytelling lacked the fullness they appreciate. After a while I found the way the stories were told became repetitive.

The strength of this book lies in the magnificent images. I found we enjoyed using the images to talk about the stories and characters, and by this route were able to then enjoy the storytelling more. However, this was hard work, as I had to find time to read the book in advance so that I could introduce the stories through looking at the pictures with the children prior to reading the text.
on 4 April 2017
Awesome book.
I initially bought it to read to my 3 year old girl, who isn't interested yet. The pictures are good, paper is quality, stories are easier to read than the Edda's.
on 8 April 2017
Arrived on time and as described
on 21 October 2017
great resource for teaching children literacy
on 25 September 2009
An excellent introduction to Nordic mythology. Suitable for young children (from around five upwards I would say) but equally appealing to adults.
on 23 August 2011
Bought this for my little one as I want him to have interesting story times but learn at the same time. The book is beautifully illustrated with traditional folk lore stories that I enjoyed as a child. Also bought the Greek version which is just as good. A must for young book lovers.
on 20 January 2014
Great book, it was a Christmas present for my son. He loves mythology. The illustrations are beautiful. My son is doing Vikings this term, so the book has gone to school, I look forward to reading the rest when it returns.
on 27 December 2012
Good for young children and very beautiful pictures. No gory details,so will not upset small children. Norse culture has strongly influenced British Isles and should be taught to all British and Irish children.
on 15 February 2015
Great for bed-time stories. My six year olds enjoy them. Has lots of nice "scary" pictures of norse Gods, Jotun's and Monsters and a map of the Norse Worlds at the front.
on 2 February 2012
I wanted a picture book of the Norse myths for my 4 and 6 year old boys, as they have been reading Atticus the Storyteller (Greek myths picturebook) pretty well over and over again since I bought it 6 months ago. I chose this as the illustrations looked very striking, and I wanted the boys' introduction to the great Norse sagas to be memorable. In fact,the pictures are a little softer and more "water-coloury" in style than I expected - but the boys love it! The stories are well-pitched to this age group - if a little simplistic and sketchy (my 6 year old demanded more detail, and has how moved on to Roger Lancelyn Green's classic retelling). But it's a great introduction, and I am now reading this at bedtimes instead - over and over again......