on 12 October 2014
A classic. I read it when I was 6-7 and the series was just appearing in print. I was having a tough time at school fitting in after a long absence through illness, and I really identified with Jenny's timid but incresingly assertive relationships with her catty friends. Whenever I heard a "cat fight" I stopped being afraid and imagined the cat club getting up to scrapes. I recommend it to parents of children as young as 3-4 to read to their children, and older junior school age children to read for themselves. I have to admit it is anthropomorphic, but there are nice plots which iron out happily. Another reason I love it is that we acquired a kitten who grew up to look just like Jenny!
on 10 May 2004
I picked this up as a bedtime reader for my three and half year old. Many of the story books we read seem to be too simplistic for her and this bridges the gap with more complex books. Although written in the 1940s it has a beautifully engaging style with little morality tales woven in, but not the in-your- face stuff that most modern American kids stuff seems to wallow in today.
We both loved it.
I know people are just trying to be helpful when they write reviews about how much they loved a book when they were children and how much they love it now. But sometimes, (although certainly not always), words like "timeless" and "classic" just mean old-fashioned, slow and better remembered than read.

Well, if you're trying to decide on this book, I would suggest that while it is in fact old-fashioned, mild, and a bit slow, it also has charms that have survived the years, and might definitely appeal to a young reader who is ready for a book that is strong on grace and gentleness, and has a lead character with real personality. The writing is pure and elegant, and the effect is sentimental with a bit of refreshing tartness. A nice find.
on 24 January 2010
I bought this book for my daughters seventh birthday. Izzy has eclectic taste and has always been attracted to unusual and original characters (in real life and fiction)so Jenny Linksy was the most perfect creature for her. Esther Averill has created such a gentle, relaxed heroine who overcomes shyness to join the cat club, have fun and be brave and loyal. Izzy is now 10 and has the whole book collection and has made a cloth Jenny cat complete with red scarf......these books are now a part of who my daughter is and I love it.
on 17 March 2012
This could be the greatest book ever. Jenny is a sensitive, special cat, who joins her local cat club and has various adventures with her new friends.

This book will make you laugh and cry. Strangely moving stuff, it is a joy from start to finish.
on 27 December 2013
THIS BOOK IS V WELL PRESENTED AND PRINTED THE STORIES ARE ENCHANTING. THERE ARE MANY CAT CHARACTERS EVEN A FLAMBOYANT GAY ONE THAT PUTS ON A SHOW .HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR CAT LOVERS