Customer reviews

Sid Meier's Civilization the Board Game

on 9 September 2017
Item was in Czech but no mention of that on the advert, birthday present to a friend ruined
on 27 December 2012
I got this game for Christmas - I've wanted it for a while.

I'm not a great computer gamer, but every time my other half starts to play Civilisation revolution on the PS3 I get sucked in, so when I realised I could get the board game version of it I knew I'd have to get it.

It did not disappoint. It looks very complicated when you start out. There are a lot of pieces and I'd make sure you have enough time to set up slowly and read through the rules. This is not a game you can just open up and start. However, once you get going and you know which bits go where you start to build up steam. There is always plenty to do on the board and between turns. By the end of the game we were wheeling and dealing, settling scores and generally having a great time.

I would recommend playing the "beginners games" a few times to get used to the style and rhythm of the game before adding the wonders and extra elements. I haven't got on to the advanced rules yet, so I can't comment on those.

One of the best things about this game is that you get a different play each time. Different tiles build up into a brand new world to explore as you go.

The only thing I would have liked to see that isn't really available with this is more historical details about the leaders, wonders and technologies. Even just a brief line that said "First printing press 1454" on the printing press card would have been something a little extra to talk about and added a little general knowledge element to the game.

On the whole, however, I loved this game and I can't wait to play it again soon. Being suitable for 2-4 players it's great for couples and groups alike.
on 31 July 2013
Like real Civilization this board games is ridiculously complex, only possible if all parties invest in it and frustrating.
Ultimately though I found the game to be very very rewarding and everyone I played with enjoyed it very much, even the sceptics.
As stated in previous reviews, the number of pieces and the room it takes to play are draw backs. However, the level of depth and the variety of ways to play the game means no two games will be the same. You do need to be a strategy game enthusiast and it will take time to get the most out of it, but ultimately it is well worth it.
Note: I did need to refer to the Internet to clarify some of the rules from the rule book.
on 4 September 2012
This game, while amazingly fun, does have a few negative aspects.

Pros:
1. Once you get into it you can really start to respect the nuances of all the different styles of gameplay there are and how balanced it really is.
2. This game will have you wanting more as it's strategy-packed, addiction-inducing fun.
3. It completely avoids the problems of deadlocks that can be found in some games because as you get closer to the end each player will only accelerate towards one (or more!) of the various ways to win.

Cons:
1. Its rulebook is quite long and if you're trying to play it for the first time without anyone helping then you can expect to be consulting it quite often during the first few games.
2. You need a big table. There are so many tiles, cards and other pieces that it gets hectic very quickly if you don't have the space.
3. This is what I would call a hardcore strategy game so I only recommend it if you have a minimum of 2 hours for a 2-player game, expect to take longer if there are more of you or if you're still learning the rules.

Overall I would say that if you're not afraid of learning the rules and have some hardcore strategy-minded friends then this game will end up giving you countless hours of fun. My only complaint is that I can only play with the same group of friends, but when we do get together we end up playing for over 8 hours, by the end of which we're all brain dead so maybe it's a good thing that we can't get together very often!
on 10 December 2011
I bought this for my husband, as we both enjoy the Civilization games on PC - he's a bit more experienced with board games however (Warhammer, M&M, etc) it was quite easy for me to get into, having playing the PC game I understood a lot of the basic rules. I did have a bit of trouble getting into the combat system, but a quick read of the very helpful guide and I've picked it up a bit.
I wouldn't necessarily suggest this game for children. It requires a lot of attention, patience and learning. Our initial set up of the game took about an hour - then first play through was about 4 hours. There are LOTS of pieces, if you keep them orgainzed and put away properly I wouldnt worry too much about loosing any.
The games aren't always as long as 4 hours, it all depends on your understanding of it and getting a strategy down.

The board game does take up a lot of room. We initally set it up on the carpet, loosing control of most our living room. Since then we've been playing on a large kitchen table, which still takes up a considerable amount of room. This is only with 2 players, something to keep in mind if you have 4 players.

We will be purchasing the expansion in the future, as it adds more civilizations to start off with.
on 4 September 2011
I bought the game because I love strategic board games and I have been a fan of the Civilization computer game series.

Positive aspects of the game:
- It is long and intricate, but fully understandable. It is a game for fan of the genre, not for beginners.
- It has 4 different ways of winning, science, culture, warfare or trade. This leads to a big possibility of focusing the game where you want to. Its also good that all the ways of winning intertwine, you won't win if you have no military might or no research.
- Even though it is a rather long game (Box sais 2-4 hours, but it was more for me, at least in the beginning), several parts of the turn can be done simultaniosly. This means that there isnt too many long waits for the other paticipants.
- I know I put it as the first point, but I would like to say it again because it is the most important part. It has over 500 different bricks, buildings, wonders, great persons, army figures, settlers, a lot of different tokens etc etc. There really is a lot of things to choose between when you build your civilization, witch leads to strategic thinking having a large impact on who is getting the upper hand.
- It is FUN! As long as you are prepared for a long and addictive game.
- It is educational in the sense of introducing names and sience from history, but it is too light to really learn anything. If it sparks an interest, it can be really good.

Negative aspects of the game:
- There is over 500 bricks/pieces in the game, and a lot of cards (I have'nt counted those, but probably a couple hundred). This makes it a big danger to loose some. I picture myself having to make new ones from cardboard. Be careful with them!
- It is a bit hardcore for beginners, you have to choose who to play it with. If you are not used to strategy games, you might get bored.
- It is a lot of reading to get everything ready, I strongly reccomend one of the players (the owner of the game?) getting to know the game before playing it. Don't worry, it will be worth it! This is only negative if you don't prepare.
- It takes a lot of space! My table is 70cm X 125 cm and it is a bit too small. It is possible to play, but it is chaotic without a bigger table.

Conclusion:
Buy it if you are a big fan of strategic games and stear clear if you think Settlers of Catan is intricate.
11 Comment| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 December 2014
I love it because:
1) It follows the gameplay of the Civilization computer game really well.
2) It involves really getting to grips with the strategy. It will keep you thinking, and discussing with your competitors, about the game for hours afterwards.
3) It is the most epic, involved game I've every played (and I've played a few).
4) You spend ages feeling like no one is really getting anywhere, then you suddenly realise people's strategies are coming together and you can spot how people are trying to win, and it's a race for the finish. The question is, did you spot what they were doing in time? Are you ahead of them, or do you need to march over there and slow them down?

But I recognise some people won't like it because:
1) We have a 10 person table from Ikea, and it just fits. You need lots of space.
2) With four people, take the 4 hour guidance as a minimum. We regularly take around five hours - plus about a 30 minute set up time. (But it never stops being fun - time flies!).
on 23 April 2014
it is a complex game to learn due to the amount of information a new player must learn. My first game lasted about 5 hours (setup time included), but as we learned the rules, game times decreased.

It is a great game to play, and you have multiple ways to win it requires a little patience in the beginning.
on 7 October 2016
Reason for subtracting points:
takes too long while nothing is happening (downtime). Combat is rock-paper-scissors. Too much detail. Board takes up too much space.
on 25 April 2014
I love Civilization. Therefore, if playing it in the computer feels lonely, call a friend and play it live like two war room wormongers would.

Highly recommend it.