Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2012
An almost catalogue sized book that does what it says on the cover; I was not familiar with US writer Autumn Carpenter before but she appears to be the US answer to UK sugarcraft author and business woman Lindy Smith. I am now a firm fan of Autumn's cake decorating and cookie websites . Previously I would have recommended any new sugarcrafter to invest in a copy of The Home Guide to Cake Decorating by Jane Price however Autumn's modern looking, colourfully photographed guide has now usurped this as my go-to guide for sugarcraft techniques reference. From flower making, to novelty shapes, embossing and airbrushing to more specialist airbrushing and chocolate wrapping, you'll find virtually every cake decorating technique imaginable demonstrated in step by step pictures. If you make decorated cakes, chuck something else off your shelf to make room for this book.
on 28 February 2012
This is the best cake decorating book I have bought so far. It gives great ideas and teaches great techniques. While seing it I thought "so that's how it's done...". It also shows how to use lots of tools, make decoration elements and much more. We really understand how to decorate a cake from start to finish with step by step photos and instructions. And it has some recipes of icing and filling. It really is a very complete book. I'm very pleased with it.
on 11 October 2012
This book impressed me highly. It covers every aspect of cake (also cupcake) decorating, that you'll need. And with lots and lots of photos on how to do it and how the end result should look like, it is better than a workshop.

From basic cake preparation, to extended piping techniques, how to use fondant to cover a cake, but also how to make fondant figures. How to cut and carve a cake, make ribbons with royal icing and also fondant. It is the most complete decorating book that I have. The thing that made me most happy, was the way it is shown with lots of step by step pictures how to pipe different sorts of flowers or easy animal figures. I already looked it up on the Wilton side, and figured I would take my piping bag to the computer to practice (really!). But the book shows also how to do it.

The only small criticism I can come up with is that she makes buttercream without butter, but with butter flavors (yak). And she doesn't give the recipe for crispy treat sculptures, but refers to the package of crispy treats. Since I live in Holland, there is no recipe on the boxes unfortunately. But for the rest I can truly say that I am very glad I bought this one.
on 2 February 2012
this book shows how to cover a cake, mix colours for fondant, piping and make animals from sugarpaste amongst other things, its a lovely thick book with clear step by step pictures showing how to do lots of things,
it says its great for novices and experts although i would imagine most experienced cake decoraters would know how to do most of the stuff in this book,
a recommended book,
on 9 February 2016
I am a beginner to cake decorating, and I think this book is a perfect introduction.I have read almost all of it. It is sorted into basic cake preparation, piping techniques, fondant and gum paste accents and miscellaneous techniques.

Pros:
-Step by step photographs of everything
-Covers loads of techniques

Cons:
-relies a bit too heavily on lots of specialised equipment. I would have like to see more skills presented that one could teach oneself without having equipment, or with just a basic set.
-In the baking cakes section, she suggests using a box mix for the actual cake!!!!!!!!!!!! As a British person I find this highly offensive.. I mean, the book is on cake decorating not baking anyway, so its not something to NOT buy the book for, but still. At least she provides recipes for the rest of the cake prep in the chapter (eg. fillings, icings etc.)
-I personally would have liked a longer section on modelling animals/people.
on 13 July 2014
I absolutely love this book and cannot recommend it enough. I was a little unsure when ordering it but was pleasantly surprised and very happy with it.

The pictures are big and bright and show useful stages.

The instructions are clear and easy to follow.

There are so many different techniques covered that I was (and sill am) very impressed.

I look forward to actually putting it all to use instead of just reading it.

Would definitely recommend above all other decorating/instruction books.
on 22 August 2012
Lots of basics in this book excellent for starting out in the cake decorating world. Was hoping for a few more ideas but nevertheless
it has very good step by step photograph instructions. Very similar to a lot of other books, as previous reviewer mentioned on a par with Lindy Smith...love her books!
on 18 June 2012
After reading this book more thoroughly, I have changed my opinion about it. I think I was too harsh the first time round.

This is a good book, which gives much information about cake decorating. The book gives you sufficient information about different decorative styles and techniques, though some of the designs are not to my taste.
on 20 June 2013
I am a keen baker and have already made cakes for birthdays and weddings but needed to refine my modest skills and learn more
This book is a God send and the illustrations varied and easy to follow . Although many of the ideas were already known to me , I lacked the confidence to try them out '' blind' , ' particularly when the cake was meant for a more public occasion and would not be just for the family , who are just happy to have cake to eat. This book is literally a bible for cake bakers , like me , who want to go that one stage further and do the best job they can. Do not hestitate to buy . I think it's great
on 12 June 2013
Excellent guide to all types of cake decorating. Full of useful tips and well illustrated. I am a beginner and have found this book so helpful with so many techniques to learn. I would highly recommend this book as a must for any cake making crafts.
The book is also a generous A4 size which really enhances the clarity of the illustrations and makes everything clear to follow. Excellent.