on 6 December 2000
Sometimes you find authors that know how to teach Java to all kind of people. This is one of that books. Is writen for all readers, including non-programmers. This book makes you feel sure and you feel that you are preparing to the exam while learning Java. I'm doing it (preparing and learning, I'm a newbie) and I'm very happy. The author sometimes advices you about important things like a friend. A very important thing is that you can write him to ask about a chapter and he always reply. I don't want to say that is the best book, but I like it, and is very easy to read (and I'm Spanish translating it!!!).
on 24 January 2002
I passed 1st time and I owe a lot to this book. This book is very concise and ideal for your final exam preparations. It targets key topics and trick questions very well..no waffle. However it must be understood that this book is NOT a study guide, it is a supplement (a point lost on some reviewers). A quick 15 minute read of this book can drive home a large amount of information. This book is intended to be read over and over again till the points stick.. try doing that with a study guide!
With regards certification.. don't get too hung up on the applied topics( Threads,IO etc ..) as they only count for a small percentage of the questions each...however you must know the basics by heart or the exam will punish you... Good luck!
on 17 August 1999
I found this certification guide enjoyable to read and a big help -especially in the section after each chapter that aids in reinforcing that paricular topic. I got a good a sense of where I stood in my knowledge of Java with each chapter and knew whether or not to move on or to throttle back and review along with other java books. I still refer to the other certification book by Roberts and Heller though, since they seem to be more convincing as to the particulars of the certification questions. I believe that as a teaching/guide book to prepare one for real- world java programming and evaluating ones level of expertise, this book does point the serious student in the right direction.
on 15 August 1999
This is the only book I used, outside of the online Sun documentation, and I passed the test first time. I have only three months of Java experience (and don't know C++) so this book is fine for non-C programmers, too. The book covers the Exam objectives and points out many of the rules and interactions the test stressed. It is NOT a book to learn Java. My only negative is that many of the questions from the book were re-used in the two tests on CD with just a word or operator changed. I would have preferred more varied questions. The test engine was almost like the real thing.
on 25 October 2001
(Easily) Passed my SCJP exam last night using this book. Does require you to have strong grounding in Java, the AWT section, and Collections section are especially brief (needed background reading in Core Java Fundamentals book). Sample questions are excellent though, and teach you to look for trick questions which are very common in the exam.
On-line sample exam is also excellent and very close to the actual paper.
I would strongly recommend this book for anyone preparing for this exam.
on 30 August 1999
I used this book as my only study guide for the java 2 exam.. I've developed in Java since the alpha days, and done some very large projects with it, yet this book still covered things I didn't know, and things which were covered in the exam. The book covers all the aspects of the language covered on the exam in a brief but concise fashion, providing test questions at the end of each. This book won't do alone if you're new to Java, but if you're experienced, it might do the trick.
on 28 May 1999
I did not put 5 stars for this book because the book doesn't cover a lot about Java.
on 24 October 2000
I used this book almost exclusively and it helped me pass confidently. As the book title states it is for cramming, it is concise and to the point. The mock questions provided try most of the tricks that the exam will try to trip you up, although it doesn't emphasize enough the importance of checking the basics in every question, i.e how to use modifiers correctly, overloading, overriding. In retrospect, since doing the exam, there are some chapters you will have to really concentrate on if you are to get the information from them that is needed - awt components, awt events, threads, IO and collections. These chapters cover the information required but it is 'crammed' and I felt more confident by cross referencing other books and resources. At the end of the day the only way to pass is to practice and do mock exams and I would definitely recommend this book as part of that preparation.
on 12 October 2001
I used this book and passed the exam but I felt the book was a little lightweight on one or two areas, including Threading and I/O classes. In other areas it was actually pretty good.
The sample questions given in the book are, for the most part, easier than the actual exam. As long as you keep this in mind the book can still be very useful. Working through the questions will certainly make you aware of the importance of reading the question properly!
I enjoyed reading the book and it was well presented. Make sure that your threading and knowledge of I/O is more comprehensive than the material covered in this book, though, or you'll have a nasty shock in the exam.
on 16 August 2001
I recently passed my Java 2 exam, but I felt that this book, although a concise list of useful topics, was not really as useful as the other in the examcram range. It isn't up to date with the new syllabus as far as I could tell and the author seems to think that unless you pretty much know the course before reading the book you don't have a chance with the exam. I don't want to just focus on the bad points; I did find this title very useful as a way to focus on specific subjects and then look them up in another book which had all the detail I needed. If you want to actually use Java, it is much more worth your while buying Ivor Horton's 'Beginning Java 2' published by Wrox.