on 17 March 2014
A truly beautiful book for any mother-to-be (or father!), who is feeling slightly swept up by the medicalisation of birth and wants to reclaim her natural empowerment for the birthing process! I've always thought I would have a natural birth, but when I became pregnant suddenly wanted to research more into 'why' I wanted to shy away from epidurals and other drugs and procedures that would distance me from the birthing experience and in turn my baby.

Sometimes this book I felt goes into too much scientific study and I did skim-read some parts where there was too much detail about studies against each drug, but I'm still giving it 5/5 as it really is a testament to the female body and how we are DESIGNED to birth naturally. Ofcourse, if emergency situations genuinely arise, then I am grateful for having a hospital nearby, but, a natural undisturbed birth is what I feel we should ALL be aiming for, for the best start we can give ourselves as parents, and our babies as new beings into this world.
on 5 April 2017
Ok so first off I will say that I love this book, the approach is so so positive and I think it's a must read for every student midwife or mother to be. However, I do believe that you should read into things further. Look up the references at the back of the book and you will find that in some cases they do not actually support Sarah's claims! If you have a genuine interest in an issue brought up in the book PLEASE look into the references and make up your own mind about their findings and pencil in some little notes.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 June 2014
I wish I'd read this the first time I was pregnant. Invaluable. My only complain about the kindle version is that there are so many references (which is actually brilliant) that on the kindle touch it's hard not to accidentally hit a reference and end up at the back of the book when you're turning the page. I wished I'd bought the paperback!
3 people found this helpful
on 11 August 2015
I simply loved this book! If you plan to have a natural birth this is a must have! The writer uses a simple language to explain how our body works so that you can gain more confidence as a mom who wants to know as much info as possible when it comes to giving birth without blindly relaying on doctors and midwives. I feel so much more educated and ready to give birth now. I suggest to start reading it as early as possible as it also helps with creating a birth plan adn gatehring questions for your midwife.
on 5 November 2013
Personally most of the information in here is not new as I've already read articles that cover similar topics from writers such as Chris Kresser or from antenatal courses. It does collate all the information with detailed supporting studies all together in one handy book. Topics covered include ultrasounds, epidurals, c-sections, placenta delivery, and breast feeding supported by stories from Sarah's own experiences. I chose this book over Ina May's Guide to Childbirth because it covered post-natal topics. However, it doesn't cover practical tips on labour pain management and HOW to have a gentle birth. It focuses more on what you should avoid and provides recommended reading for the how-to's. So I'm now considering reading Ina May after all.
on 15 March 2018
wonderful reading and would benefit most first time mothers and fathers as well as refresh experienced ones
on 4 March 2014
This book will hopefully dispel all the negative stories you will hear surrounding childbirth as a first time mom to be. Written in easily accessible language with clear descriptions of all the elements of childbirth from pain relief to breast feeding, this is one of the best books I have come across in the run up to the birth of my first child.
It takes a very natural approach to childbirth - sometimes a bit overly so for some (I don't think I'll be having a lotus birth, for example) , but if you are hoping to achieve a natural childbirth with minimal intervention in the form of drugs etc, then this is your bible. Buckley's own accounts of the birth of her children are also a delight to read and will fill you with positivity.
on 27 February 2014
Good info, book ok overall, but she doesn't really talk about unassisted birth. Her ''natural'' births were all with interventions. Kinda disappointing.
on 15 September 2015
I feel much more confident with the fact that I have made the right choice to take responsibility for my own pregnancy. I plan to bring baby into the world as a wholly natural and undisturbed human being. Thank you
on 31 July 2014