on 28 March 2013
I could not put this book down. A very good read indeed. After reading this book I am tempted to buy more of Elisabeth Kubler-Ross's work
on 26 March 2017
An amazing short book that covers the whole spectrum of death and life afterwards. Beautifully written with sensitivity and knowledge. Highly recommended, whatever religious or non-religious background you may have.
on 30 September 2015
An interesting read that shows the case for and against an after life. Whilst the case for or against remains unproven the author helps those with an open mind to walk away feeling maybe...just maybe.
on 23 August 2017
Actually ordered 10 copies for different people, really good and seller excellent, didn't have all the copies at once, but all arrived within days
on 3 October 2016
Helps put grieving into perspective.
VINE VOICEon 28 December 2010
This is a wonderful little book, and utterly believable, not least because of the experience and erudition of the author. Kubler-Ross was an expert on death and dying, having sat with thousands of dying patients, and listened to many accounts of "near death experiences". She had been involoved in controlled scientific experiments, in which it has been shown (for example) that even a blind person can describe in detail the people trying trying to resuscitate him, and the clothes and colours they were wearing. She had no fear at all of death, and was utterly certain that it is a beginning rather than an end. However, it is not a work of theology, and serious theologians may find some of it hard to swallow. But for anyone who fears death, who has just lost someone they loved, or who just needs some reassurance, I can't think of a better book.
on 14 August 2008
I bought this book for self-help purposes, as my fear of dying was becoming more and more of a problem for me and was beginning to affect my life adverseley. I have to admit, I never thought it would have as much of an effect on me as it did.

I was not (and am still not) a "religious" person. I do not buy into organised religion at all. Please do not be put off if you are in a similar situation. Kubler-Ross does make quite a few references to "God". But she is not talking about God in a biblical sense. Instead she is refering to a higher power. A "spiritual", rather than a "religious" force that we are all a small part of. I opened this book an atheist. I finished it more as one who is open to the possibility of there being something beyond that which we understand.

A word of warning: this book is short. I think this is a good thing as it can be re-read many times with little time or effort. Its length does mean that it will inevitably not answer all questions. Personally, I shall be reading more of Kubler-Ross' works to further my understanding.

Having read the book, I am still not 100% convinced that life after death exists. But I am now definitely open to the possibility. Kubler-Ross has made me question the world around me and my place in it and has opened my eyes to fantastic possibilities. She has given me real hope that my future does not need to be filled with fear about something I have very little control over. Death may not be that scary, after all.
22 Comments| 60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 August 2011
The arduos yet conscientious work from Elizabeth Kubler-Ross an who has worked tirelessly to conquer the taboo subject of death. She not only offers us comfort but a whole new perspective to dying and death and helps us to begin to understand the life after we have departed from our 'shell'- I have great respect and gratitude to and her patients for sharing their experiences. This book has elevated my understanding and dispelled my fears,and enabled me to think beyond the catipillic life.....
on 7 March 2010
read this soon after losing my Mum. The book bought me great comfort and whether or not you are reading it after a personal loss or out of general interest it is a read I would certainly recommend.
on 13 February 2013
This book is reassuring reading for those that are frightened of Death or just Interested in the subject, the book grips you from the start and is hard to put down. Dr Elisabeth Ross has years of working with dying people and people who had NDE's giving solid evidence of life beyond Death.