on 15 April 2017
This book changed my life. It is the key that opens up the mysterious world of image composition. It does so by grounding the principles in a reality you are familiar with rather than presenting them as abstract, is 'diagonal lines create a sense of movement' I've read it many times in books on art, but why? The answer is quite simple and in this book there ate many of these answers. I loved it.
on 28 May 2017
All this book could have been done in chapter one, then the other chapters could have given examples of paintings and how they fit into her theory. We don't all want to paint a wolf in a wood.
on 22 November 2013
Really clear examples of how shapes and colours can be used to invoke feeling and emotions. Thoroughly recommended to anyone with an interest in composition.
on 4 January 2014
So simple and so effective. A great buy for anyone interested in composition, whether it is applied on painting, on 3d, photography or film.
on 28 November 2012
This has to be one of the best blind buys I have ever done. The book is so simple and yet says so much. Very useful for my thesis.
on 19 July 2014
I had great expectations of this book, which unfortunately none were met. I was after a book which would explain basics in composition; colour, dynamics, geometrics, and positioning. This book seems more of an elaborated college project, using geometric shapes to interpret the classic tale of little red riding hood. The whole book is based on the picture featured on it's cover, explaining each step of the process. If other pieces of art were also included it may have had more to offer in tuition.
In saying all of this, I would recommend this book as a tool of reference for students in school. It covers some of the basic principles of composition, ideal for key stage 3 learning.
on 21 February 2014
"Picture This" is so far the most understandable explanation I have read about the effects and interplay of form, colour and other elements of pictures. Bang spends half of the book making the cover picture and explaining how she made the various elements work together to create the atmosphere and feeling she wanted. Another in-depth example focusing on some other emotion (this one was about being scary and invoking fear) would have been very helpful. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in how to make their pictures stronger and more emotion-invoking.
on 28 January 2014
The book taught me a new skill: how to compose a picture. It took me about 90 mins to read at a slow, careful pace. Rating it is hard. I knocked off one star because I would have liked more examples. Having said that, I think I've learnt what I need to learn just from the one example. Einstein apparently said his objective was to make things as simple as possible, but no simpler. This book is the epitome of that. It's brilliant, and I sort of feel guilty for knocking off that star. I had to knock a star off for the book itself because it fell apart at the seams. It's the way it's made: poorly glued at the spine. I probably could have returned it, but I wanted to keep it. I know that I'm going to read it again.
on 3 April 2017
A good read.
on 15 June 2015
I think the book could have been a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I think it is a really great concept, analysing the emotions behind even the most simple drawings. I would have like to seen the ideas expanded more. I often look at art and wonder why it works the way it does, so for me I got a few things out of it (which is just as well, otherwise it would have only been given one star). I don't often give 2 & 3 star reviews.

There weren't all that many words in the book. Look at page 50. There are 11 words on that page. Pages 82 & 83 are the worst. 14 words on the left page, 25 words on the right page. So in many places it feels like I am not getting my money's worth. Plus the font is quite big so it feels like it is being padded out. I read it in two sittings without even really trying. You could probably read the whole book in an hour.

I would have liked to see two or three examples like the wolf on the cover, and why the images work the way they do, instead of just the one.

But actually, what most let the book down was the design and publication of the book. It just doesn't feel at all professionally laid out (probably because it isn't)

1) The page background is green. I find that very distracting in a book about simple art, shape & color.
2) Page numbers are bigger and bolder than the main text! Why? This just emphasises how fast I am flicking through the pages.
3) Only 96 pages overall.

I think it should have only been 75 [quality] pages, and/or the book should have been published in a smaller format.