on 17 February 2016
These books are well written and contain all the information you will need to pass the CCNP V2 exams. One major caveat though: they are full of errors and often in very unfortunate places. Errors that serve to confuse the text to the point of serious detriment to readers who are not active in the maintaining of the most recent errata. Be aware, there are points in the books where important topics are being explained and right at the punch line, a serious and sometimes blatant error appears. There are even whole sections in the ROUTE book that are incorrect, such as the explanation of the 'area <area-num> range' and 'summary-address' OSPF commands in relation to default route propagation. If at any point reading the books you are mystified, check the errata.

Note: More recent printings may have cleared many of the errors?
on 6 January 2015
I really enjoyed reading the book (read twice already). This seemed very concise and well written with everything in the correct order ensuring it was easier to understand. This is the first book I have read by Wendell Odom and have already ordered the next book. I do intend on taking the exam in the next few weeks but thought it would be best to write the review before hand.

Although the book is geared towards the exam its still a great book for a beginners guide to networking. I couldn't comment on the Lite simulator on the accompanying DVD as I have networking equipment for labs.

The book will make a good reference guide going forward and also has an added bonus of being a hard back. A book I highly recommend.
on 12 August 2013
This book has everything you need to pass the exam. If anything however it has too much information. I found that it can be a very dry, hard read because of this. Dont get me wrong, the information it provides is fantastic, just overwhelming.

Please note that you do NOT get the Additional bonus material with the kindle edition. However if you follow the instructions in the appendix you do do get the likes of Network Simulator Lite, a Study Planner, Instruction Videos and so forth. It jsut requires some additional steps.
on 20 March 2015
Fantastic book, I recommend thoroughly. I spent three weeks solid in this book doing all the material and extra stuff included on the discs. I was able to pass my CCENT by following the training plan included on the disc and keeping focused, you can make it work for you. I found this book gives you such a better understanding than required to pass, which is good because you are genuinely prepared for the exam and I feel confident working on the second book now towards my CCNA. I personally felt it alleviated the stress of the exam because there is prep tests and labs in this book so you are comfortable and ready for the exam. I personally found it very realistic and you don't have the worry of wondering what it will be like. I have read other cheaper books which say "pass this and that in 60 days", yeah that's all great but do you know the answers or do you really know the answers? That's the difference with these books, they teach you to be a Cisco engineer. As a personal suggestion, I think It would also help if you have at least a years worth of experience on Cisco equipment because it is a lot to take in, if you are comfortable with IOS etc. then it will make a big difference. So if you have N+ etc or are in a Cisco Academy this is ideal. Worth every penny. At the other end of the scale, you could start from the beginning and enjoy the journey taking your time to learn.
on 16 April 2015
As the official cert guide for the ICND exam, I thought this would be a good read, and easy to get through. I was wrong. I wasn't expecting a novel, but I was hoping for something that would be an easy read, with clear explanations of concepts. It starts off easily enough, but as the book moves into the more complex aspects of the exam it seems to lose it's easy going nature and become harder to follow due to the use of technical language.

As it's author is American there are some phrases and sentences in the book that threw me off a little. Things like saying "most all" instead of "almost all" for example. There are other sentences in the book that you may end up reading twice to understand the American take on it.

It's also worth remembering that Cisco are an American company, and so when you come to learn about T1 connections and various WAN links, they are explained in line with the American standards, rather than UK standards. We don't have T1's in the UK, for example.
on 3 March 2014
Passed my CCENT with the aid of this book. Very thorough and well thought out book. Very comprehensive. Lots of detail. What I would say though, is that it is quite dry and verbose in places and I would not rely on it as a sole study guide. CBT Nuggets videos and other Network simulators are needed in conjunction with this book particularly around the subject of understanding subnetting. Also, the material on the DVD isn't all that good for its advertising and seems added more as a sales pitch for practice exams. Apart from these small points, the book is excellent
on 22 July 2013
Great reference books to study with whilst i'm doing a computer networking course online. Will really help eventually towards the CCENT and CCNA exams. Very heavy going in parts, but eventually these books will get you through. I don't need to say anymore about this as enough people online say great things about both books (Cisco CCENT / CCNA / ICND1 100 - 101 & ICND2 200 - 101) already.
Just to let you know, that it's cheaper to purchase these books through Amazon instead of buying through Cisco direct.
on 7 November 2015
Good book. It covers a lot of information, more than what I thought it would. Just using this book alone, I feel, would be enough for you to pass the ICDN1 exam.

I was nearly going to give it three stars as I feel the colour is lacking in the book. Why can't this be printed in full colour? It just looks greyed out and boring. Also, the size of the pages could be bigger.
on 16 March 2014
This book covers ipv6. I'm studying to wards my CCNA and this book is a god send. Just when you think you learned it all in class and on you tube this gives a great perspective and easy to follow. I didnt realise until i started to compare topics in the book to my college classes just how much i over look or didn't get a hand on. Must have to pass. Its money well spent.
on 9 February 2014
Only on Chapter 5 at mo but have to say very good book, having already passed Comptia N+, although it is the same syllabus as Comptia n+ with Cisco added in, this book is very informative and easy to follow, really enjoying learning from this book and can't wait to learn all the Cisco technology. I would definitely consider this book for CCent.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse