Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2010
If, like me, you've wanted to get into meditation but have found trying to think of nothing impossible - this book is for you. I once came across a definition of meditation as 'making the gap between thoughts bigger'. This I found impossible to do; Easwaran agrees and explains how by focusing on a suitable passage from a book or poem the mind can be tamed and trained. He gives examples of suitable texts and has published another volume 'Timeless Wisdom', which gives further examples of passages that could be used. Easwaran explains that the passage chosen should be of a certain calibre to be effective. The book gives details of an eight fold path to help you go within. It is easy to read and you don't have to be a religious person to benefit from this spiritual, centring practice. I have found it a balanced, accessible and practical guide.
on 15 December 2009
This wonderfully-written book is an ideal guide for those looking for meaning and purpose in their lives.

Simple, non-denominational, non-prescriptive, and written for those caught up in the turmoil of life in Western society today, Easwaran's enchantingly clear and convincing writing sets out eight everyday steps for anyone seeking spiritual advancement.

A beautifully simple but powerful 'Eight Point Programme' aimed at setting seekers on a path towards enriching our own lives and those of others around us.

However casually or ardently you read this book, the ideas in it will stay with you forever.
on 13 April 2017
Half way through this book, completely opened my eyes. Write intelligently inflicts humour and common sense into his writing to make it more relatable. Ensuring parts of his personal journey are known also. Great content and huge insight with beautiful and helpful for information for those looking for a little more insight or enlightenment.
on 18 May 2016
Refreshing and inspiring. What a communicator this man is. An encouraging read.
on 11 September 2015
An excellent book about meditation and especially the use of mantram in daily life.
on 26 March 2015
Eknath's books are great, such a loving soul.
on 1 December 2012
I 'm very familar with the author and whilst I am still in the early stages of the book, already I recognise the wisdom and sincerity that I have come to associate with this spiritual teacher. It is with great skill that Eknath Easwaren makes the spiritual insights of the East, understandable to the Western mind. I would feel confident to purchase any of his books.
on 7 July 2014
Interesting
on 24 February 2011
I have read quite a few books on meditation and I never really understood the purpose of meditation. This book gives simple and concise reasoning for why we need to meditate and how to go about it.

The title is not quite correct though as it is about his 8 point program to daily living with each chapter devoted to one point of his program and the bit about meditation is only chapter 1. But really chapter 1 is everything you need to know on meditation.

A preview of the chapters are at the Blue Mountain Center of Meditation website which dedicate itself to the teachings of Eknath Easwaran and you can have a look to see if you like to buy.

I came across Eknath Easwaran from his translation of the Bhagavad Gita (The Hindu 'Bible') and I really like his style because he explains difficult concepts in simple ways without needing to dress things up. It is always hard to find a writer you like and whenever I do so, I tend to buy all their books they have written. Having quickly scanned through his other books which I just bought, I think they are as good as this one and the Bhagavad Gita and will probably write a review for them soon.

It is probably a cliche to say it but I really think that this book is probably one of the most important book I have read. There are a lot of theories and ideas books I like but I considered this to be the most definitive guide to practice and incorporating it in your daily living.
on 30 March 2003
Now late Mr. Easwaran eplains in lively way how to meditate. The tecnique is simple and easy to learn but to practice is more deeply takes long time but is worth the efforts. At the same time Easwaran starts explaining usefulness of healthy way of life and simple meditative way of live.
I can warmly recommend this cheap little book to anyone interested in meditation.