on 19 July 2017
Nice book
on 24 August 2017
Very good book, highly recommended
Trying mix the positive thinking of Robert Schuller, and the faith movement theology of Paul Yonggi Cho and Kenneth Copeland, Osteen has taken the stadium seminar circuit to a new level. Augmented now by this book, "Your Best Life Now: 7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential" he pushes the find the god/champion within yourself.
People who are down on their luck, or discouraged with life will find Osteen a good read.
"Getting your mind off of yourself," with the goal of self-fulfillment should appeal also to readers of Wayne W. Dyer and other authors looking to reach those who feel disenfranchised.
Osteen's rambling, choppy speaking style comes through, written like he's campaigning for office. Reading like a seminar set to print, it sums as quickly as reading through its self-determinist table of contents:
1. Enlarge your vision
2. Develop a healthy self-image
3. Discover the power of your thoughts and words
4. Let go of the past
5. Find strength through adversity
6. Live to give
7. Choose to be happy
The steps sound innocuous, and, outside of their religious context, are. Within their religious context, evangelicals and charismatics will likely find offense at Osteen's assertions about controlling your own destiny as opposed to letting God control it.
Aim a little higher, and check out Rick Warren's "The Purpose-Driven Life."
Anthony Trendl
22 Comments| 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2008
I have probably read half the books out there right now on how to manifest the life of your dreams. With one notable exception, this is the first currently-published book I have read that truly identifies and names the real source of an abundant life - God! But you still have an important part to play in the process, and Joel Osteen masterfully tells you exactly what part that is - from affirming your worth, to choosing your thoughts, to recognizing the power of giving. This book is bound to inspire and uplift you, no matter what you "think" your current circumstances are. If there is any fault with this book, it is only that it is a bit repetitive. But Joel writes so well, it's almost a pleasure to read the same thing over and over again. If you want some of the same points delivered in a more succinct style, with a clever metaphor to make the principles more memorable, I also recommend Row, Row, Row Your Boat: A Guide for Living Life in the Divine Flow by Steven Lane Taylor. (That's the "notable exception" I mentioned earlier.)
on 9 January 2011
this book is one of the best I have ever read,its very inspirational and I have read it several times over, its a book you can go back to and read again and again. Its full of encouragment, and makes you feel you really have a part to play in this world. He encourages us to believe for great things in our lives and trust the Lord in all things Its probably in the top five books I have ever read.
on 14 September 2010
I was recommended this book and was pretty sceptical. I think it is light reading that needs to be read lightly.

I realise that more conservative elements would nit pick some of the theology on offer here, i.e. the simple proposition that ou life on earth can never be our best life when the believer has the heavenly hope. However there are a lot in Joel's words that a warm and encouraging, but at the same time calling the believer to humility and service which reflects the teaching of Christ. It was also packed with numerous "war stories" which illustrates his points nicely and do not make this a pie in the sky book, which a lot of the American Word Faith people are accussed of.

I would give it three and a half stars.
on 19 May 2013
I admit to being very down in the dumps before I read this book. I was desperate to find a way out of my slump and I didn't know how till I read this book. The first night l read it I was determined that things would change. I went to work with a positive attitude determined to enjoy that day instead of looking to Friday to come. When l was at work l noticed the difference the job was no longer a burden ,the day did not seem to drag by. I have determined through this book that no matter what I am going to live my best life now. Thank u Joel.
on 3 September 2014
This is a very inspiring book which I still have not read from cover to cover. I look for the chapter which applies to my situation, read it and try to do what it says. This is a book for all times. You can read it for leisure, for those times when you need answers or a calming mood for those off days. I call it my special book and I bought it for my husband and my friends because I want them to understand what I meanwwhen I tell them that this book is more than just a book to me.
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 December 2007
Jimmy Swaggard. Ted Haggard. Tammy & Jim Baker. All these people used God's name in their sermons. Not Mr. Osteen. Where will you put your money? If you have the horrible need, go to the library and read this book. There are ways to make your life better without making someone who does not recognize God, a richer person.
on 11 October 2005
Pastor Joel Osteen has written a fabulous, encouraging, Bible-based book which should help and support all Christians and probably non-Christians as well.
The theme is how to enjoy your life and excel no matter what your circumstances may be. The ideas are illustrated by stories from the author`s own experience and those of his family and people with whom he has worked; supported by Bible quotations and helpful explanations on how act on the principles.
Many people are depressed by events in their lives, and there has been a fashion for the cognitive approach to treating depression by therapists. Pastor Joel, while noting that sad feelings usually result from sad thoughts, takes this one step further, reminding us that negativity and misery are not to be
accepted in the Christian life, quoting, for example, St Paul-
"we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ"(NIV translation, my own copy). The biblical approach is extremely powerful, and it is interesting to see by how much the New Testament preaching predates today`s fashionable ideas.
Pastor Joel does acknowledge also that depressive illness is not as simple as just "depressed" feelings.
I appreciate the book very much.It has inspired me to go deeper into the Bible verses quoted. It should encourage readers to study the Bible.
Pastor Joel`s book is excellent and I recommend it very highly.