on 19 April 2007
This book transformed the way I write. Although many books explain how plots work, this is one of the only ones I've found that shows you how to create a plot from scratch. The method Jeffrey Scott describes works for writing books as well as scripts and I use it all the time.
on 8 July 2014
Wow.

I've been animating for over 20 years as a self taught animator (not for the faint hearted) but have never really learned how to write a script. I've wanted to for a long time, but never really made enough of an effort to do it.

But one day I came across an article on the Animation World News website about Jefferey Scott's book and how useful it is as a practical approach to learning how to write scripts for animation.

So I got it.

I was not disappointed. If you want to understand how the pros do it and you're time is limited, this is the book for you. It cuts right to the chase and gives a completely comprehensive guide on the techniques used and developed by a Emmy award winning writer who's been writing scripts professionally since the 1970s.

From how the Hollywood industry works for writers. To how to take that nugget of an idea out of your head and use the steps he's made to form it into a fully completed professional script. To how to pitch it, sell it and position yourself to getting commissioned by the studio execs.

I personally just wanted to know the mechanics on how to create a scripts, so that I can develop my own animated projects and this book gave me that and much more than I bargained for. It has helped me understand the logic to script writing in a quick, practical and easy to understand way.

Buy it.
on 29 January 2010
How to write a good premise, Identifying and ordering the beats, Expanding to an outline, The full script and, then, getting somebody interested in it.
All superbly written with great, 'real-life' examples (I just *had* to go watch the TMNT episode to see how it turned out) including hints/tips/advice.
Admittedly, on first reading, I thought it too detailed a process for my hobbyist interest The improvement in, at least, the planning is remarkable. My written scenes are far leaner, more readable and better paced. My previous haphazard (I liked to think of it as dynamic) method caused too many omissions and clunky scenes while this method seems to highlight areas for improvement.
Would recommend to anybody who would like a proven premise-to-script method to their script-writing.
on 4 August 2009
This book is very good. Explain very well all the steps to write an animation project. Easy to understand. It has been very helpful to me.
on 21 February 2011
This book was written in a really engaging and enthusiastic manner. Everything to do with script writing for animation was made clear and got me a 1:1 for this part of my Animation Degree so I'm happy! Thanks Mr Scott for all you help...and Amazon of course!
on 9 February 2016
This book has been really helpful. As an animator who wanted to start dabbling in a bit of writing this book was perfect. It takes you through the entire process from outline to script and offers great advice about different show lengths (7min, 25min etc) and what style of writing might best suit your strengths. So if like me you're an animator without writing experience then a more slapstick style is encouraged. I can see myself coming back to this book over time as it's full of really useful tips and working methods.
on 17 July 2011
This is an amazing book. It starts off with the basics, gives you tips how to complete every step, give examples along the way en inspires you. Excellent. I recommend this book to any one who is considering writing for animation.
on 31 August 2016
Love this book!! It has helped me to get my story ideas off of the ground.

I recommend this to anyone who wants to write for animation and get stories from head to paper.
on 6 January 2012
The best book not only for writing for animation but any other media. If you are interested from animation to novels, or even comic books, that's your book!
on 25 June 2015