Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 10 March 2011
In this book Freke & Gandy provides you with some of the most thought provoking text attributed to Hermes and adding their take on the meaning of these in a manner that aims to help you in understanding the texts themselves.

Corpus Hermeticum is a collection of texts compiled in 18 books (although they have not included anything from book 15 here), written originally in Greek and in Alexandria. You will be given a short history of the origins and thoughts around wether or not it was written by the Sage himself or by several authors since it is written in Greek but referes to scrips written in hieroglyphs.
This history of the text itslf makes you realise how thought provoking it has been and still is, and makes you curious as to know why.

Each text is presented by Freke & Gandy's take on what Hermes trully means by what he writes and provides you with an idea of what frame of mind you need to put yourself in as you read it. This helped me greatly in opening my mind to let the words speak to me as Hermes would have had us do.

They have also chosen to write his words, not as the expected dialog which is the way Corpus Hermetica is originally written, but as clear cut speach. This is very helpfull for anyone not to familiar or comfortable with the usual form of writing, and or someone who is unfamiliar with philosophical writings and of Hermetic thought to begin with.

I highly reccommend anyone interested in understading the mythology of the Egyptians, ancient relligion, Sufis, philosophy or religion as a whole to purchase this book as a companion to the original writings of Corpus Hermeticum as it will help you understand the basis of these better.

One can really understand the many thinkers of our history that has been inspired by these writings, and also why so many rigid religious people has tried to destroy or discredit these words of ancient wisdom.

I hope to have provided you with some help, and wish you luck on your quest for knowledge!
on 21 March 1999
This is one of the most accessible books on the works of the Hermetica available to the casual reader. It gives a fascinating glimpse into a philosophy that was held nearly 5000 years ago. After reading this book it is no wonder to me that the ideas expressed have endured so long and influenced so many of the greatest minds in history. It is definitely a 'must' for any student of Egypt and earlier religions, not to mention a thought provoking series of passages that force a re-evaluation of our place in the Universe.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The Hermetica: The Lost Wisdom of the Pharaohs
The original "Hermetica" as compiled by Greek scholars in Alexandria in the early centuries CE is a complex work in eighteen volumes, Freke and Gander have extracted twenty key extracts presenting them with their own overviews and new translations.

These teachings from the earliest Egyptian records 5000 years ago bring together a comprehensive statement of the basis of subsequent religions, the zodiac, and astrology constituting a profoundly worthwhile study.

Highly recommended and essential for anyone discovering the fascination of the early pagan and Christians religions.
on 10 July 2014
Top read for anyone whose into philosophy or history, although it just the tip of and iceberg. This book is part of the truth about our real past and a good starting point for anyone new to the subject or concept that we create our own reality with our thoughts. This happens if we are conscious of it (ideal way so we can create our own lives and manifest what we desire) or and sadly, and this is how the world operates, we let other people tell us what to believe and therefor think via religions, science, education and every mainstream media body, thus creating a reality that is bias toward the elite.

Well written though and well translated but not the full story.
on 19 November 2015
A good overview of the Corpus Hermeticum. The authors have distilled the content of the Corpus Hermeticum and made it accessible and reader friendly to those who are curious but whom may have trouble understand the concepts presented in the original text, and let's be honest, that is most of us. Their annotation, although basic, is nonetheless very helpful in enabling the reader to gain a greater understanding of what is being presented in the texts themselves. However, this said, and despite their obvious great efforts, I am unsure that such a small book does the original text justice as the authors have themselves selected what they felt to be the most relevant passages. Consequently, this book would be most useful as a precursor to other more comprehensive commentaries, or as a primer to prepare one to read the text themselves. But without doubt the book fills a gap in the market as all things hermetically are once again becoming increasingly popular.
I have been to Egypt, the first time was in 1993, and I made my mind up that I'd like to study Egyptology.

Although in my second year of studying Egyptology, during my third year I will be studying the Egyptian religion. Although it isn't one of the study books I will be required to read I still decided to purchase it.

This classical sacred literature is believed to have been written by Hermes, an Egyptian sage, it is believed that it was written 3000 B.C.

The people thought his wisdom was great.

This is the first times this has been available to others rather then just scholars, archaeologists and anthropologists. The books authors have done endless research to present a collection of excerpts that would be understand and relevant to today's people of the world. You could say it's the earliest form of a religious bible to be written.

It's very interesting to see the way they thought back then and how we'd translate to fit our present day. I have always been interested in the Ancient Egyptian Religion and I found this book informative, interesting and enjoyable to read.

Whether you are studying Egyptology or just want a little more knowledge about the Egyptian Religion this is a good starting point.

It makes an excellent edition to my little Egyptian library, which now stands at nearly 1000 books on this subject. :-)

Have a look at the rest of my reviews, you'll find number of Egyptian books mentioned. :-)
on 7 November 2016
Essential reading for the student of the occult. The text outlines much of what has come to pass as Hermetic/Khemetic work. There are many initiatory truths to be uncovered, yet I dare say that each will take something varied and subjectively powerful from this work.
on 4 November 2016
Fascinating book. I couldn't put it down - read it from cover to cover and then slipped it into my shoulder bag to dip into when out and about. An extremely clear introduction to the subject and gives much food for thought.
on 6 July 2009
The Hermetica is a body of knowledge that needs an expert to lead the way. This book is the work of experts, and essential reading
on 14 February 2011
I knew it was a good book, but thanks to Freke & Gandy, they made it a good read too. Excellent reference, thought provoking and now understandable.