on 17 November 2011
I read this book in the aftermath of a particularly bad deadline (4 essays due in on the same day) i'd lived souly off toast had 8 hours sleep in the last 3 days; i realised i needed help. At school my procrastination had been bad, and at university, it got to the point where i was finishing essays 15 minutes before the deadline. even starting a presentation at 11pm, when i had to present it at 9am... when i first opened 'the now habit' my self-esteem was at an all time low. When i read the page describing all the characteristics of a procrastinator it was describing everything i hated about myself, and i'm not too proud to admit that i cried. This book finally gives a procrastinator the answers they are looking for. it doesn't tell you to plan and prioritise, but instead allows you to explore your own reasons for procrastinating, and gives you mechanisms to find other ways of coping with this. if you're looking at this book, you probably accept that you need help. be assured; you will get it.
49 people found this helpful
on 14 November 2012
I've never reviewed on Amazon before but felt compelled to this time, because if there are people like me out there who are desperate to sort themselves out, they should know this book is a good one! I'm sure there are others but I saw this one mentioned a few times elsewhere and indeed it's really worked for me (I've been a terrible procrastinator my whole life and having gone self-employed I needed some help). All the reasons Fiore gives for it are spot on (fear of failure, perfectionism etc.) and his advice is worth believing as he's (supposedly) coached hundreds of people and students with the problem. I quite wanted it to be more 'here's the plan: 1. do this, 2. do that etc.' but instead he talks lots and you're left to put it together yourself. But I took his suggestion of working no more than 5 hours/day or 20 hours/week and it's been so effective, I find myself sorting out other stuff in the evening like the redecorating. He also suggests working for a minimum of 30 minutes before a break, but I adapted it to a minimum of 40 minutes, and if I feel like I can keep working, much the better as then I might finish my 5 hours earlier that day.

Just to add - 5 hours might not sound like a lot but that's 5 hours of pure work - no internet, no making tea, nothing else. I worked in offices for years and I do more focussed work in 5 hours now than I did in 8 then.
19 people found this helpful
on 22 January 2011
The topic of procrastination is a topic issue that affects many and this book can guide and help in understanding and overcoming procrastination to be more productive on a daily basis. The first chapter, Why we procrastinate?, explains well how procrastination can affect self-esteem including critiquing over procrastination and the link between procrastination and fear of failure, where as chapter 2, explains how a person procrastinates, with good lifestyle examples and the steps that can be taken to step out of procrastination.

The book follows on with chapter 3, How to talk to yourself, explaining how the language used can affect procrastination habits, with chapter 4 concentrated on how to live a guilt-free life(i.e. Not putting the things off that we want to do without feeling guilty), an issue that can affect those that are busy and have responsibility towards others...), which plays a major part in life and work.

Chapter 5, Overcoming blocks to action and chapter6, The unschedule, gives ways of improving procrastination habits and overcoming obstacles that allows procrastination to affect our way of life. Chapter 7, Working in the flow state includes focus and relaxation techniques of viewing exercises and tasks, with chapter 8, fine-tuning your progress, relating to setbacks and failures when attempting to combat procrastination and concentration techniques. The last chapter, The procrastination in your life is an overview of the many topics and issues discussed in the book, and my overall view is that this book can guide and help in understanding and tackling procrastination.
4 people found this helpful
on 16 January 2013
The general principles contained within The Now Habit are easy to follow and understand. It does offer a set of strategic tools for you to overcome procrastination. But at the same time you also alter your thinking about a wide array of things that cause you to procrastinate. By asking you to take a reverse psychology view of how to address things, it aims to get you to focus on starting but at the same time not depriving yourself of fun. In fact one of the principles of The Now Habit is to enjoy 'guilt free play'.

I previously had this in paperback and on audio book. As soon as I got a Kindle (only just because I am a Luddite) it was my first purchase. It's a great book for helping your to combat procrastination, which for many is an ongoing struggle.
5 people found this helpful
on 31 August 2011
Firstly I would like to say that I not a employee of Neil Fiore or are affliated with any of his businesses, but this is one of the best books I have ever read in the self help genre.

I have read many self-help books about procrastination & worry and they always had the same message: 'if you organise yourself better and work harder, you will reach your goals'. But even a 12 year old understands that logic, and many times (as we have seen when we set New Years Resolutions), this way of thinking often leads to frustration and apathy.

I really don't want to spoil it for you but what Neil Fiore with this book is turn this conventional logic on it's head - he states that we should learn to fit our work around our leisure time rather than the conventional wisdom of 'grinding at the millstone' and IT WORKS!!!!!!!

As I run a business in my spare time, I have sometimes found it hard to focus on what is really important, avoiding my big tasks. What this book shows you is WHY you avoid these tasks and gives simple and more importantly practical advice on how over come your fears of work and for me it's already had an instant effect!!!!

A note of caution: some of the tasks like work for 30 minutes and then take a break may not be practical in the office environment but for people that run businesses, oversee projects and creatives will find this right up their street!

I don't normally do reviews but I have to say if you want to be more productive and have a better quality of life then do not hesitate to pick this up!!!!

You will not regret it!!!
4 people found this helpful
on 16 March 2016
this book is great. with it I noticed and started to understand my own behaviours as well as the reasons for them. it opened my eyes! follow the techniques presented and it will improve your life. you will be less anxious and start being much more productive. looking back, after reading this book and understanding myself better, I unlocked the procrastinator that I had inside me and I started being much more productive. While I remain a perfectionist, I can still be very productive making a top performer. I recommend it to everyone!
2 people found this helpful
on 31 December 2015
Second hand copy in condition exactly as described. This is a useful way of challenging procrastination. It tackles why and when we delay getting on with importamt things and has useful tasks to do to help you analyse the root of what's making you anxious about a project. It shows how sometimes what we think is putting us off is just a veil for what's really going on. I'm finding it useful - like many books of this kind it's sensible to re-read and re-use it.
on 13 June 2018
Fantastic Book. Make sure you take detailed notes while reading so that you can refer back to them at a later date.

I would also recommend this with another book "Procrastination" by Jane Burka

I would recommend taking detailed notes from the book and implementing them stage by stage. The most important for me was the "Unschedule" It will help you to reassess your mental blocks when working
on 12 October 2011
This is the first Self Help book I have been able to read all the way through. As a procrastinator and a perfectionist myself, it really hit the mark! The most important lesson I learnt was that everything is a choice - you don't have to think "I must do this" or "I have to do this". You simply change your thinking to "I choose to do this, as it is preferable to the consequences of not doing it" It is a very simple change of thinking, but it works. The book basically looks at the reasons why we procrastinate and gives the reader very useful tips to overcome these habits. It also helps you to organise you day ensuring you alway include 'guilt free play' which ensures you always have something to look forward to! Since reading the book, I am more focused, more organised and happier to start tasks (which has ultimately leads to completion of the task). My self esteem has increased too! I would definitely recommend this book.
5 people found this helpful
on 4 December 2017
Fantastic book, very different from the usual procrastination manuals. Really opened up my brain to the aetiology of my block and helped kick start my project. Definitely recommend.