Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 August 2010
I have followed Hillary's blog for a few years and made some of her dolls before. As such, I waited with anticipation to get my hands on this book and was a little worried that my expectations would be too high and I would be disappointed. Not a bit! I love this book and it is top of my (very substantial) pile when it comes to making dolls for my children.

Sometimes I have bought a craft book and only two or three projects appeal enough to make it to production. Not with this book - I can honestly say I will make most of the toys in it. I have just started work on Wes, tha baby giraffe for a friend's new baby. Such a simple design, but the shape is genius - both cute and graceful at the same time. My daughter has already made a list (Eddie and Patchwork Penny are top). My own favourites are Katie Kitty and Little Miss Story Book. Most of the toys have a retro-vibe and all have real charm.

Hillary's passion for what she does shines through each page and the book is beautifully photographed and styled. On a practical note instuctions are clear, and most importantly, templates are full size! I have other toy making books which require an expensive visit to the photocopy shop to increase patterns to 200 per cent or whatever. All in all, this book is a joy.
on 22 January 2011
This is a great book. I buy many craft books and even though i have sewn many projects, i have never found a book where i have completed more than 1 or 2 of the projects. This book however is different you may as well start from page 1 and work your way from there, you will want to complete them all. There are full size patterns which is always a bonus and instructions are so clear it makes the projects very easy to complete. I have already finished 2 of the dolly dress up pillows which after cutting out all the pieces took less than an hour to sew together. There are many dolls suitable for gifts which little girls will love including my next project a tag a long doll which fits into an apron which you also make. Too cute.
on 9 August 2010
I've waited for this book so long. I've used Hillary Lang's patterns before and they're a cut above the rest - simple, effortlessly charming and so well explained. This book is just fantastic, such a treat to see her work in glossy, full colour hardback form. If you're looking at this page and wondering whether to buy it, stop wondering and buy it now! Right now I'm off to get sewing...
on 13 February 2012
I've made a few of the toys from here. The instructions are very easy to follow. I would highly recommend getting this book.
on 29 September 2011
This is such a sweet book. The first that struck me was the overall quality of the book, it is a harcover, the overall design is wonderful and it has lots of inspiring photography. I flick through it frequently just to enjoy the eye candy!
There is a good variation of patterns and if you're a beginner to making toys, then this book is a great start. The variety of projects allows you to hone new sewing and skills with which you can later develop your own variations of the patterns.
The patterns are clear and concise and very beginner friendly.
I loved the elephant bag and the selection of bears are especially delightful. Worth every penny and highly recommended for beginners and more experienced crafters.
on 20 November 2012
Lots of different things to make and get your teeth into. Very quirky not traditional. Modern can't wait to get making them up.
on 22 October 2010
it is a lovely book have already made one of the teddy bears, really good simple instructions
on 5 October 2011
This book is great. Lovely colourful pictures and clear instructions.
Plenty of different toys to make. Need a little sewing experience,
but very easy to follow instructions.
on 22 September 2010
Really nice patterns for all kind of dolls and other softies. Absolutely a new different kind of book.
on 25 March 2013
I absolutely love this book, the dolls are gorgeous and my 5 year old has already placed her orders!!!
I've just started to make one of the dolls and so far so good, the patterns seem easy to follow, you can use a machine or sew by hand, although machine is advisable. There are a good variety of dolls to suit boys, girls, babies or even doll loving adults...they're super cute!
Buy this book, you will not be disappointed!!!