on 30 June 2012
I'm disappointed with this book. I love to bake and have been baking with wholegrain flours like Spelt for many years.
I had hoped to learn how to bake with the individual grains like amaranth. However, 99% of recipes are wheat flour in various guises, with a half cup or so of the wholegrain added in. She even mixes spelt flour with wheat, which makes far lighter cakes, scones etc on its own.
That's another bugbear, she claims to have lived in the UK for a month, but has no understanding of British baking. She appears to have confused rock cakes with scones! (if she didn't know what she was eating, why didn't she ask?) She has then "tried to recreate them" using the strangest of ingredients? Kimberley - if they're rougher & crunchier than scones and filled with currants, they're called rock cakes! And you don't make them with double cream ;§
Her soft rye pretzels look like something my dog would produce!
On a positive note, it is interesting to see how Americans bake. It is certainly different to the UK.
There are some nice compote and jam recipes at the back, and the multigrain section gives a recipe for a flour mix that could be adapted for wheat free, if not gluten free baking. Sadly, I'm not as inspired as I had hoped to be.
If I'd paid full price it would be going back.
on 21 April 2017
A wonderful book with a variety of interesting baking recipes which all focus on whole-grains. I have made several recipes in this book many times and have started to improvise more thanks to it.
on 19 March 2013
At first I was exited to receive the book as it looked lovely and had a nice feel to it. However I was expecting the recipes to be wholesome and to some extent 100 percent whole-grain. Well this was certainly not the case. As far as I can tell 98 percent of the recipes contain some form of sugar (yes, honey and molasses count as sugar in my book. They trigger the same brain receptors as white sugar). I also haven't found a single recipe that contains 100 % whole grains. They all seem to be mixed with all purpose flour.

I have to admit that I haven't spent ages studying the book so I could be mistaken but for the most part this certainly seems to be true. If I didn't live abroad, and returning the book wasn't so expensive, I would have sent it straight back. A shame cause I really did have high hopes.
on 12 August 2013
This is a great book.
I'm somewhat puzzled by other reviews here though. Firstly, the author doesn't claim that this is a British baking book. It's quite clearly American, with lots of delicious bakes, some of which are new to me and definitely not the run of the mill recipes that one finds in most baking volumes. It also doesn't claim to be a health food book - it's a baking book, for goodness sake! While it aims to make baked goods more whole food focused and slightly healthier, the author is a pastry chef who does value taste and a light texture, which you just wouldn't get with 100 percent whole grain flour recipes.
I have made any things in here, especially the pancake and waffle recipes, being a somewhat breakfast obsessed person. The pear and buckwheat pancakes are an absolute highlight, as well as the oatmeal pancakes and carrot and cornflour waffles.
The only warning that i would give is that you have to have access to a good health food shop to buy the flours.
I also second the person who recommended Dan Lepard for other whole grain recipes - the man's a god!
on 29 May 2010
This is a great book if you like baking and you fancy trying out different grains. It is visually stunning with lots of photos and well written recipes. So far I've only made the buckwheat nibble cookies but they were delicious. Great book, highly recommend it.
on 3 November 2010
I love this recipe book and, based on the recipes I have tried so far, I cannot recommend it enough! Although I had not heard of a good many of the flours - kamut, coconut and the like - I have had no trouble getting hold of them at our local health food shop. I have done the Fig Butter Scones twice and everyone who has had them raved about them! I have also done the Sand Cookies, the Maple Rolls, the Quinoa Cookies, and yes, straight out of the oven they do taste like peanut butter cookies, which is nice if someone in your house suffers from a peanut allergy! Altogether this is a beautifully presented book with inspired (and delicious) recipes.
on 10 March 2013
First thing to say is that this is not a gluten-free baking book, but aims to introduce a range of unusual flours in a way that makes it easy to incorporate them in everyday baking. Kim Boyce is clearly a talented pastry chef, and has taken great time and care to develop the recipes, and to match the flavours of the flours to the recipes they are used in. The instructions are very precise and detailed, and provides helpful reassurance by describing what the texture should be like at various stages of the recipe.

This is an American book, so you will have to deal with cups, but there are many online converters that can help with this.
I think the recipes themselves are stunning, and those I have tried have worked very well. There aren't photos for every recipe, but there are a large number through the book, and the photography is beautiful.

It may be difficult to obtain some of the flours she uses, but you can easily start with the wholewheat and rye flour chapters, as well as the jam and compote recipes. The other flours she covers are amaranth, barley, buckwheat, corn flour (not to be confused with the cornflour used for thickening sauces - this is whole ground corn), kamut, oat, quinoa, spelt, and teff flours.

If you're fed up with baking books that just have cupcakes, layer cakes and brownies, this will give a whole new dimension to your baking.
on 1 August 2011
The book is nice, and easy reading and understanding.
Although it's short of pictures, for whom who are not familiar with the food nor the final result.
Overall it's a very good book.
on 15 August 2013
A large number of very pretty photographs to revamp old recipes by replacing white flour and sugar with ,now fashionable , older products.
on 13 July 2013
This book is split into chapters using different flours. So far I have only tried one recipe and it did not disappoint. This book was recommended by a friend but think this could have built up my expectations a little. It is ok but maybe not as good as I had expected. I will however, attempt to try out more recipes though.