Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit

on 28 June 2008
I've bought lots of books of knitting patterns but this is the only one which is packed full of projects I want to knit. I've knitted 4 items from the book and it only arrived a fortnight ago! All of the patterns require between 1 and 3 balls of yarn (many only 1 ball) and are quick and fun to knit. There is a real variety of techniques and some unusual patterns. An excellent little book!
on 11 May 2009
This is a great book. My local librarian originally suggested it to me and it was so good, I decided to buy a copy for myself. It's full of fantastic patterns in lots of different weights, styles and colours. I really enjoy it and if you live in a place, like I do, where mittens are part of your essential winter wardrobe, then this book is for you.
on 3 February 2009
A super book packed with ideas. I want to knit them all. Very varied designs and a variety of skill levels. Not a beginners how to do it book. In projects this size you can challenge yourself and succeed.
VINE VOICEon 20 July 2009
Excellent range of designs using a variety of techniques and yarn weights. Includes techniques not previously seen elsewhere. Some of the designs are more practical than others. Beginners and expert knitters will find patterns to extend their skills. The only negative is that the patterns could have included more sizes.
on 21 September 2009
This is a gorgeous, innovative little book that I will return to again and again. The patterns are clear and easy to understand with inspiring photos throughout. An absolute gem.
VINE VOICEon 25 March 2011
I love this, it's jam packed with stunning patterns, great use of photography, colours, textures and beautifully put together. I can think of more expensive books which haven't a fraction of the content or interest that this one has. I've made a few of the pattens already, more are in my queue and I think there is something to suit pretty much every style from Grace Kelly to Gothic splendour. Each pattern is well explained, however there are a few minor errors so check the publishers website for errata. Nothing to onerous but always worth looking :-)

A friend of knitting group looks at this most times she visits, so it must be good, maybe I should buy one for her :-)
on 25 November 2009
I've taken up knitting to make things which can't be bought in shops. There are enough ready-made sweaters and gloves out there that hand-knitted items need to really stand out in terms of uniqueness of texture, design, material, purpose and style.

In my opinion, nine of the patterns included in the book have their ready-made, shop-bought equivalent available, so I really don't see the point in making them. What's more, they'd be cheaper to buy.

Another gripe is the amount of fair-isle designs - it's not a look that appeals to me at all - somewhere between Val Doonican and mad hippy aunt.

With current fashion favouring short-sleeve knitwear, or three-quarter length sleeves, I was looking to make things to keep my hands and arms warm. The cover of this book attracted me in that it shows a long-sleeve arm warmer and I was hoping for more of the same inside. There's only two long options: the fingerless ones on the cover and some long gloves, admittedly pretty, inside.

There's around 10 fingerless/hand warmer/wrist warmer designs, a few of which are pretty and interesting. There are 10 mitten patterns - only one of which I would consider making - and 7 gloves. To me, the two most interesting and 'innovative' patterns here are a fingerless mitten, whereby it covers the back of the hand with a 'tongue' and quite bizarre replica of driving gloves!

This much anticipated book arrived this morning, but having looked through it, I would only consider making 7 or 8 of the designs, even then, they'd be put at the bottom of my list. Having spent an hour or so surfing the net through free knitting patterns I've found 12 really beautiful and practical designs for hand/armwear so this book is superfluous. I was hoping for lots of things that I wouldn't find on the net. You could say I found exactly that. The designs I found on the net are better.

To summarise, this book is just okay. With the option of buying nice gloves from shops and making ones from free patterns, it just doesn't rise to the challenge in my eyes.
33 Comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 September 2010
I love to knit mittens and when I saw this book I just had to have it. There was one problem though..... I'd never used double pointed needles and most of the patterns call for this skill. I found that the 'Alternative current' mittens were the best to start with as I could follow the pattern ok and learnt thow to use the double pointed needles at the same time. I have had a bit of trouble with the abbreviations section as they are not written in the way I'm used to but with perseverance I've managed.
All in all a good book and I shall continue to attempt some of the more difficult mittens as I gain confidence. Not a book for a beginner though.
on 31 July 2014
Looking forward to trying these lovely patterns for the winter. Could be improved with a reliable conversion guide for UK and European yarn weights.
on 12 May 2011
Another BRILL book. Some of these gloves are really cool. I can't wait to knit these for my family and friends.