on 12 November 2014
The longer I have this book (and other knitting books to compare it with), the more I appreciate it. Clear instructions, well thought through patterns, with none of the fiddly seams and intarsia that you can get into a mess with as a beginner, great use of texture and colour. Whoever wrote the review saying that the title was misleading is right. I guess they couldn't call it 'Random collection of long and short projects using the beautiful yarns we sell at purl'. If you're looking for novel Wedding or Christmas gifts, this is not the book for you. However, there's a section at the back on wrapping your gifts and instructions for how to make a drawstring bag to put them in. Many of the patterns are quality enough to give as gifts - a soft baby's bonnet, a thick cashmere man's scarf, some quick pot holders for a house-warming party, I knit the chevron scarf for a friend (simple, but clever pattern) and perhaps you have a friend who would just love a cashmere tea cosy? Ok, so maybe not that last one, but I don't mind because I knit the tea-cosy for myself with cheaper, washable yarn, and it's the best tea-cosy pattern I've found. There are also some very versatile designs, like the hat that can be adapted to fit many tastes. Even the patterns that I flicked through as 'page fillers' I'm now going back to. Maybe a string of mini jumpers and stockings hanging over the mantelpiece might add a retro touch to Christmas?
on 30 April 2014
All went as well as it could go with this order. No delay, item arrived in condition as described and I have no reason for complaint.
on 17 November 2015
There was one really delightful scarf in here, the rest was disappointing.
on 6 December 2014
Lovely book, good patterns, wish I could afford the wool!
on 5 November 2014
Lots of gift ideas
on 28 May 2014
Great ideas and very nicely photographed. Instructions are clear and easy to follow. I can see myself making lots of projects from this book.
on 23 June 2005
I like this kind of book, it does exactly what the title suggests, gives you a whole host of patterns that can be knitted up quickly and given to people (or kept for yourself). With scarfs, little bags, toys and soft furnishings as well as baby stuff there should be something to suit pretty much everyone, with the patterns laid out clearly with good photographs. Best of all, the projects are divided by time, so you can pick something fast or a little slower depending on your deadline, and there are nice extras like the article on colour combination and useful hints on wrapping and presentation. The airy scarf is my favourite thus far, but I'm sure my friends will be receiving many of these items as time goes by. An excellent mix of the practical and fun, with things suitable for the beginner as well as more advanced knitters.
101 people found this helpful
on 8 August 2006
This has to be THE knitted gift book. If you only buy one, this has to be it. Full of contemporary simple designs using luxurious yarns you're only trouble will be what to knit first.

I knitted the Rabbit Lovable Toy and was so impressed with the instructions and finished product. I'd never been interested in knitted toys but this design was just amazing. I used Blue Sky Alpacas as recommended which is a fabulous yarn.

Although many of the yarns are from the US most are easy to obtain on the internet or quite easy to substitute. This book is easily my favourite knitted gift book and the first I turn to when looking for a knitted present to make.
17 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2008
Whenever I open this book I want to grab my needles and start knitting. I realise that different people like different things - but I found this book to be full of beautiful ideas for knitted gifts. The lovely photos help of course. I'm not an experienced knitter (and maybe those knitting virtuosos amongst you may prefer more complex projects), but it isn't intimidating and all the projects are clearly explained. I'll be trying to knit some gifts for christmas!
One person found this helpful
on 5 September 2011
This book is lovely. It has achievable but inspired projects. Along with detailed useful hints. Already made the scarf. Would definately recommend.