on 7 September 2013
Leslie Kaminoff, in one of the back cover reviews, states that this book is 'essential reading for any teacher training program that wishes to be considered state-of-the-art'. I am ambivalent about teacher training programs as a way of learning how to practice and teach yoga, especially in terms of value-for-money, but a good book is priceless. It can be read, and re-read, and through self-discipline it's teachings can be assimilated, slowly, purely, over a long time. This book is brilliant. Enjoyable. Intelligent. With no romanticization of the 'orient', which I appreciate. The bibliography is huge, and Stephens references everyone from Scaravelli to Shiva Rea. The sequences are taking me outside of my habitual practices, and I'm looking forward to incorporating Mark Stephen's suggestions into my teachings. Essential reading, I'll be recommending it to my students, and know that it will be opened regularly in the forthcoming years.
on 3 June 2013
This book has been really good for my own practice rather than any lesson planning application. The sequences and commentary are excellent and well written and chapters are very well divided and organised. My only reservation about this book is that the sequences don't have enough modifications in them for the different bodies we all have and this is key to a vinyasa style yoga sequence and maybe what I was searching for in my lesson planning area. I think for the more "advanced" postures in the beginners level section, modifications that could be easily incorporated in to the original sequence would have been really helpful. I enjoy the sequences and they can form the basis for further explorations.
on 28 August 2013
Good in depth background information. Gives lots of sequencing suggestions with background teaching instructions. As a teacher with only a couple of years teaching experience I am finding it one of the most useful texts on my journey so far.
on 30 March 2013
A great book with regards to lesson plans/sequencing. Particularly helpful with yoga flow sequences/vinyasas. I would recommend this book for teachers.
on 21 May 2014
Very disapointing, the sequencing is pretty derivative, based on Ashtanga Vinyasa and Anusara, with lots of sun salute warm ups. Despite some sequences being labled as levels 1-2 ie suitable for beginners, students would really need a good degree of competence to keep up with these lessons. Great for teaching flow classes at the gym but not much in here for the village hall crew.
on 20 January 2014
Hard to navigate around this book. When sequences are suggested there are just words and no illustrations. So when they say Sun Sequence A, you have to look it up and it is not indexed - many other things like that. Frustrating. It is as if the author requires you to read from page 1 to the end and to remember everything and also where to find them. Poor indexing. Poor illustrations. I am sure it is useful but I cannot use it as a reference book, as a yoga teacher, without spending ages flipping pages back and forth.
on 9 November 2014
If you teach yoga and want to develop your own routines making sure they are balanced and effective this is a fantastic resource. Mark Stephens has been incredibly generous in putting so much expertise and inspiration in this book for anyone to use.
on 28 September 2016
Wow, what a fantastic resource for the recently graduated yoga teacher, or those who are experienced but looking to refresh and get some new ideas.

Pro's: It's extensive, in-depth, organised coherently, and written with teachers in mind
Con's: Because of the wealth of information, it's not a book you can quickly dip into.

This book is far larger and thicker than I anticipated, there is a wealth of information here for the serious student. I initially was unsure about spending this amount on a book, but there is so much to be gained from it, it's worth every penny.

I very much enjoyed the no nonsense writing style, informative and backed up with credible anatomical information. Whilst touching upon all limbs of yoga, the focus is very much on the 3rd limb, the Asanas. I would recommend this book to those who have some understanding of yoga already, particularly those who have graduated or are in the process of completing a teacher training programme. There is an assumption you already have an awareness of Sanskrit and yoga in general, though there are very clear and helpful diagrams throughout.

The book is divided into sections addressing all the different classes you might encounter. Beginners, Intermediate, advanced, children, elders, pregnancy and more.

In all honesty, I expected a book I could dip into, and find a quick lesson plan in an emergency. This isn't that, and it's too weighty and extensive for that. It requires a thorough read, and then a re-read to cherry pick the useful parts, and adapt to what you feel comfortable teaching. Which isn't a bad thing, you are certainly getting your money's worth. However, if you are serious about investing in your practice, this is the book to go for.

I've been to too many yoga classes that have been haphazardly designed, with no thought to why we are doing a particular posture, in a particular order. I hope this book, and it's rightful inclusion as expected reading on many YTT programmes will go some way to remedy that.
on 9 May 2013
A great in depth book about sequencing Yoga classes. I have been teaching a while and its helped me to refresh some classes and to re invigorate my own practice.
on 9 March 2014
This book really helps to flow with a Yoga practice and puts sequencing on another level .
Helps teachers and students to improve a flowing vinyasa -