on 12 April 2016
Purchased for my very dear friend. It's amazing. Would highly recommend anyone who has MS or anyone who knows someone with MS to purchase this book, you won't be disappointed. Early days yet but with changes to diet MS suffers could live a relatively problem free life, potentially, or as it is claimed. We live in hope.
8 people found this helpful
on 13 April 2018
I’ve tried IBS elimination diets and thought I’d go a step further and look at this. There’s an awful lot of blurb to encourage you to follow the diet - lots of case studies, anecdotal evidence, as well as research. My big gripe is that the book I got was 10yrs old so I need to find a book which presents up to date research. I really like the recipes in it - from the basic but necessary tips on roasting veg to good ideas for spreads & dressings as well as meals and puds; enough to be adventurous & widen your repertoire; food that sounds like something you’d really eat.

It’s certainly given me renewed impetus for paying more attention to my diet and reinforced the need to eliminate problem foods to optimise my health - I have been fighting myself, sulking big time lately, and that’s no good. I’ve also had a major dip in health, every doctor I see diagnoses me with something new without offering me treatment. There comes a time when you have to actively take responsibility for yourself.

As a diet, the book could be much more helpful - I waded through it with a highlighter, turned page corners and made notes until I’d come up with my own diet work book. I do feel more educated and I do feel the arguments make sense - the case studies have been enlightening for all the “me too!” moments, so useful after meeting blank of bemused faces when I’ve disclosed my symptoms.

I’m not worried about whether I’ve got MS or not, I just need to know what to do so I can get on with my life as best I can. I don’t feel like a wallowing mess anymore; I feel empowered.

I’ve started taking various supplements: omega 3 fish oil capsules with every meal; daily vitamin D3; B complex with folate once weekly; strong vitamin C twice a day; daily lecithin. I’m ingesting more extra virgin olive oil as well as other recommended oils eg flax, walnut, sesame. I’d already eliminated animal fat from my diet and had noted intolerances to dairy, legumes, gluten, fibre, sugar, & FODMAP foods so am looking again at eggs and yeast carefully and have gone back to my known safe foods, knowing now that I have to give my gut time to heal.

Going without all foods I’ve grown up with & been used to eating day in day out, has been really hard for me but once you believe that you’re actually causing yourself physical damage and ill health by what you’re ingesting, how can you not adapt & develop greater self control?

We can’t control many things but we have absolute control over what we put in our mouths.
on 10 September 2014
Bought this as information for my Mum to read whilst she is caring for my father with motor Neurone disease. Although aimed at MS, the book is a good grounding at general health and is worth a try. My mum is very pleased with it and states its an easy read.
8 people found this helpful
on 6 May 2014
this was a very helpful book which has given me lots of useful advice. Well worth reading and taking note
7 people found this helpful
on 21 April 2018
sure diet has a lot too do with any kind of recovery
on 4 August 2015
Book is a good read, wife has MS & first saw it in the physio clinic she visits so purchased her own copy, many good recipes.
on 20 July 2016
As i have ms i found it was a very interesting and inspiring book
on 22 May 2015
Bought for my mother as bought one myself and thought it was great. Mother very happy with it also.
on 8 July 2015
It is the way, I have found, for me, to beat MS
2 people found this helpful