Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Moana - Listen with Prime Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 22 November 2017
The exercises in this book produced inspired pages of ideas ... initially; but by Day 3 the formatting had sunk my creative impulse.

I have flicked through it a couple of times since aiming it onto a shelf in the 'done with' bookcase in hope that the original gush flowed again, even as a gentle trickle, sadly not.

The charts, there are many, require a lot of time and work to complete, which, in my case, are both better invested in writing the draft proper.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 September 2012
I've only skimmed through the book, planning to take a closer look at it, then work thru it in November, for 'Nanowrimo 2012.' This looks like a great program, especially for a beginner, and I'm glad to have some guidelines and ideas to help me into the process. I might even end up with a book--!
on 2 December 2012
This is a comprehensive kit for completing your novel in a month. It is not a kit for complete beginners like me, as it makes the assumption that you already have a book to write and helps you to complete it in a month.
on 21 December 2011
I recently purchased 'Book in a Month' by Victoria Lynn Schmidt and it has definitely inspired me to write another novel. Although unpublished,I have written a novel previously and it took me over three years to finish probably because all I had was a good story and only vague ideas of how to proceed with it. Ms Schmidt has written BIAM because, when she was writing her own novels, she could not find the exact books to give her the advice she needed at the time, so she wrote her own. Consequently, her book contains everything an aspiring novelist needs to write his first(or subsequent) novel including checklists and worksheets to be filled in and followed. She says you will not need any other resources to write your book and she could well be right; everything about your story and characters can be contained in this one book. I found it very motivational and, even if you cannot actually finish a first draft in a month, this book shows how to set reachable goals and how to manage time so that they can be reached successfully. It even offers free online support for those that need that little extra encouragement. I thoroughly recommend this book and give it a five star review.

Linda
on 22 May 2010
Like 'No plot, no problem' by Chris Baty, the aim of this book is to get you to write - and finish - a novel in 30 days.

Unlike the Baty book, where the main concern is to make sure you just keep writing, without looking back, and not worry about the quality of what you write, this book is more serious about the quality of your novel-to-be. Although this author, too, states you should not review what you wrote until your first draft is finished.

The book provides you with check lists, maps, tables, assignments, all to help you not to lose sight of where your story is (supposed to be) going.

I ordered both the book - and kit - by Chris Baty, and this book, and I am glad that I did.

Baty is more focused on motivation, Schmidt on technique. That is why I think they will work very well together.
0Comment| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 December 2012
The information in the book is well presented and very useful but buyers of the kindle version are getting shortchanged somewhat. The hard copy book is filled with worksheets to help you on your way and costs just a couple of pounds more. I'm all about instant gratification so, not knowing that I'd be missing out on so much, I bought the kindle version so I could get stuck in straight away. In order to use any worksheets I had to sit and re-hash them as best I could on a word processor and print them off. Not ideal!

I'd recommend this book for the information but if you want to really get into the spirit of Book in a Month skip the kindle version and pay the little bit extra for the actual book. Would be worth buying at a price that reflected its limitations.
on 8 February 2011
I bought this hoping it would spur me on to get more writing done and it has helped me to discipline myself into a daily routine. I can't say I have finished my novel as yet, even after longer than 30 days, but I certainly have a first draft. The book is full of helpful hints and advice to get your writing started and, more importantly, to keep you writing on a daily basis and get that novel finished. Don't expect to have a novel ready for publication when you finish working through this, but at least you will have written something that is ready to edit. Highly recommended.
on 17 January 2011
This writing tool is a Writing Master Class in a workbook format. If you wanted to hire a professional coach to give you concrete advice, precise steps to take and also connect you to a support system, this book is it. Equally, it is an economically viable approach for those who can't afford the time and/or money to attend workshops and seminars.

Dr. Schmidt has formatted everything except room for failure--but you MUST do the work.
My copy came in a binder format. The pages lie flat, which is very helpful when reading through it, as she gives you things to think about and exercises to do before starting the project.

The index lists the five sections: Introduction; The Five Secrets of Book In A Month; Time Management; Resistance; Setting and Keeping Goals; and The Book In A Month system.

In the back of the book are worksheets to assist you with your creative process.

Dr. Schmidt presents everything in an engaging and easy-to-understand style. As you read, you feel as though she is talking directly to you. And, this book/system can be used again and again.
on 1 March 2010
I just finished reading through this book, and will begin the BIAM program today. This book is the most practical I've come across, with a lot of good advice, reminders, and is a great format for practical use. I will add that I've learned more through reading this book in a couple weeks than I did in 2 years of writing courses through a school of journalism. I would have given it top marks except for the flaw that her religious views creep in regularly - if you can ignore the comments and exercises about meditation and mantras, and sift the gnat from the cream as it were to glean the point of such paragraphs, you'll gain the full advantage of the book.
1010 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 8 January 2010
This book is really helpful. It gives guidance, tells you what you have to do within a timeframe, and spews out little words of wisdom to inspire you to write that book you've been wanting to write before you die. Unfortunately, like many out there, I procrastinate. So, the book is still somewhere in the study waiting to be used. Good luck!