on 28 February 2010
Clearly you've been thinking about writing, or in the least, the process of writing, otherwise you wouldn't be looking at this book. My advice is: buy it. You won't regret it.
on 28 December 2015
Excellent service, would use again.
on 9 January 2017
Good read for every budding writer.
on 19 January 2015
Uses too many refernces which means less of the authors thoughts and tution. Its okay but not what I expected
VINE VOICEon 26 October 2010
One day, I'll put the figurative pen to paper and write the novel I keep promising myself I will. If I manage to do so, my level of success will be due, in no small part, to this book.

The author effectively demystifies the plotting process, offering practical tips on creating the necessary building blocks to support a story from beginning to end. Each chapter ends with an exercise to undertake to help reinforce the message, which the reader can stop and do, or can leave until they've read the book and go back to.

Written in a clear, uncomplicated style, this is a book that can be read either at one or many sittings without losing its impact. I would recommend it to any budding author, or to anyone merely interested in better understanding the craft of writing.
on 14 May 2008
An easy-to-read book, and yet it contains countless ideas and suggestions for the writer - well worth buying!
on 4 October 2013
I loved this book, not only for the exercises they make you think but for the easy, no nonsense language of James Scott. I love the way this book breaks down the text in to a way that I can understand. It really is a perfect book for anyone thinking of writing. I used the book the first day I got it and immediately got hooked on not only reading the exercises but also on the book itself.
on 15 February 2011
Some interesting ideas here, but I found some of his suggestions crass, such as putting on music to shape a genre in your mind. It comes across as a self-help book in the Mind and Body genre. I didn't like him quoting his own material as examples of brilliant plotting; and his choice of other novels was odd. His approach would probably be helpful if you were writing a bang-crash thriller, but this isn't the type of fiction I want to write.

His approach is a bit too American for me.
66 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 March 2012
I did love this book. I read it from cover to cover within a week of buying it, and am fairly certain I'll be returning to it again in the future. The chatty style is entertaining whilst carrying solid tips on how to develop plot lines that keep readers hooked. Highly recommend.
on 18 February 2015
Good, concise, explanations of the various elements of novel writing. It's written in a friendly style, doesn't blind you with science, and gives lots of exercises and examples. I am part way through the book and have already learned a lot.