VINE VOICEon 19 May 2006
This is one of the better "how to write" books that I've brought over the past few months or so, and i found myself rather pleasantly surprised by it. The tone was light, comfortable to read and each chapter is very in-depth. Rather surpring to me was the initial starting chapters-which I expected to be boring page filler/introductory text. But, they actually turned out to be some of the most helpful and informative tips on the subject of plots that I've read.

What I particularly found good about this book was that it raises points that made me think about my own story and its plot, and I found myself mentally applying the principles discussed in this book's pages to my own work.

The author uses clear and friendly writing to get accross a point, drawing from examples in both fiction and film. The author does not assume that you've seen most of what they discuss, so whenever a title is discussed, the author gives enough information to those that might not be familiar to the work being discussed. I didn't feel like I had to go and do several hours of reading homework before I could access this book and know what the hell the author was talking about.

I'll be referring to this book again as I write my own story. There are no winning solutions, but lots of sensible advice, much of which is pretty logical---but to a beginner like myself, it was invaluable and highly useful.
on 9 December 2001
A cut above the usual stuff that fills most of the "how to write" genre over and over again. A useful look at the major categories of plot and what readers expect from each. This is NOT a write-by-numbers book. It could be especially useful for anyone who wants to experiment with writing different, and perhaps unfamiliar, types of stories.
on 6 March 2011
This is great, but you should also get the wonderfully practical 'Plot and Structure' by James Scott Bell and completely brilliant 'The Seven Basic Plots' by Christopher Booker.

Splash out on these three and IMO you'll know all you ever need to know about plotting.
on 11 January 2001
I have read this book a couple of times. It is easy to follow and logically laid out. The author brings a wealth of practical experience to this work. This is a great book for a starter, it helps build a proper foundation for formula story writing. Thank - you Ronald.
on 6 September 1999
This is a wonderful book. Not too complex, and handy as all get-out. Readers have certain expectations, and this helps you make sure you've covered all your bases. The checklist at the end of each plot description is useful in helping the writer see if most of the possibilities have been explored. Don't we all want to use our characters and situations to their best advantage? This book can help you!
on 28 April 1998
As a begginer writer, I love this book. Very easy to read and urderstand. Besides the explanation of the 20 plots, the first chapters about plot and structure in general are great.
It is helping me alot with my second novel.
on 24 April 2011
This book is a decent read and will certaintly make you think. You may conclude that few decent films sit comfortably in any single plot type and using this as a blue print may result in your writing being a bit formulaic, so beware. I would have no hestiation in recommending reading this book.
on 13 January 2016
I received this book which appeared to be in reasonably good condition in spite of being used. There were very few marks on the pages. I began to read it and was thoroughly enjoying the insights provided by the author who has an exceptionally informative and quite amusing writing style that appeals to the wit. As I continued my reading, engrossed in the writing world created by the author and devouring every word, you can only imagine my surprise when after finishing page 60, I discovered that pages 61 to 92 were missing! There does not appear to be any damage to the book such as torn or removed pages so I can only conclude that it must be a printer's misprint. Such a shame for such a truly amazing literary work.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 June 1996
Tobias includes Aristotles three parts of the play, then expands this into a list of "the lowest common plot denominators." Writers may wish to change these into questions to revise their own story's plot. It helps to have a list of plots sometimes to jar the creative flow, but nothing can compare to just sitting down and writing.
on 11 July 2014
Quick read, and the first quarter of the book I found very useful. However, some of the later plots have so much overlap and in common with the earlier ones, that I ended up skimming much of the second half of the book. Well worth a read if you are or have ever written anything for anyone else to read, and you wanted to actually hold their attention. This book will tell you what you should be doing to tell a story that resonates with your reader - by revealing the plot structures that we all naturally expect and yearn for in a story.