Customer reviews

on 6 January 2015
Another very funny book, beautifully written by an amazing author. The book is based on the crazy (to me) idea of a mayor determined to keep the population of 'his' town below 1500 in order to qualify for a visit from the president, who he believes is his father. This gives him an unhealthily keen interest in who's dying and who's being born. The characters are vivid and all of them and their foibles are lovable. I can highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good tale. Miriam Toews is, in my view the best author I have ever read in over 55 years of reading. I am bereft now that I have now read all of her books. I hope I can find another author as skilled and entertaining as her - perhaps someone could recommend some?
on 14 March 2015
Having greatly enjoyed The Flying Troutmans I was keen to try another by the same author. I found this harder work, not because of its depth or complexity, but the opposite - it seems too whimsical to sustain the reader's interest, except at the beach-read level. I never felt committed enough to give it more attention than I might to a bizarre conversation overheard on the bus. The problem lies with the central character, Hosea Funk, mayor of Algren, whose obsession with keeping the town's population at exactly 1500 is a good comic idea, but not enough to build a whole three dimensional character around. I liked most of the other characters, especially Summer Feelin' the excitable child of Knute, the female lead. The story picks up in the last third with resolution of the population question in sight, but the emotional awakening of Mayor Funk is too long delayed. Although this novel was a slight disappointment I will certainly try reading some of this author's more recent work.
on 19 August 2010
Having read the Flying Troutmans I decided to send off for another Miriam Toews book. This one did not disappoint. Yet again wonderful characters and amusing yet poignant dialogue with an original plot. I shall have to get another now! ...
on 10 February 2014
I loved this book made me laugh was a bit farcical but I really liked it good light hearted quirky read well written