Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 April 2012
Having watched the first two seasons of The Walking Dead and hearing about the variations in the story I thought I would give the books a try. First things first, the price. At £15 (price at time of purchase) I couldnt beat this. Waterstones was the only high street bookshop I could even find this in and it was priced at £29.99! I purchased this using next day delivery option. I purchased this item on the 25th March with the estimated delivery time of 1-3 weeks. As usual with Amazon they overestimated how long it would take them to get this in stock and I received this on the 4th April.

The Book:

Fantastic story, with it being a graphic novel it doesnt take long to read. I finished it within 1 day picking it up periodically. Season 1 & 2 of the walking dead covers most of the action from book 1 in this series, but so much more happens in the book! It is understandable why they have left some moments out of the tv version as a hell of a lot happens in this edition!

If you like the tv show, buy the books!
on 4 January 2015
Have been long standing fans of the TV show, so got the first book as part of a Christmas present for my boyfriend (and means I get to read it too). These books aren't the cheapest option to collect but the look, style and weight of them are perfect.
review image
on 9 January 2014
Was troubled trying to decide whether I should start reading Walking Dead by buying the Trade Paperbacks, The Hardback Books or the Compendium. While the compendium is by far the cheapest, it's size and paperback format makes you feel like you're reading a phone book. These Hardback books are a great size and a great quality. As well as that they include all the original issue covers and Trade Paperback covers, plus some other stuff. Anyone looking to collect them all should definitely purchase them this way!
on 13 June 2011
So, I'm 28 and I'm a total Nerd, but to be honest I just never got on the whole comic thing and can say I've never read a comic book in my life. I do however love zombies.

After watching The Walking Dead - Season 1 [DVD] I was totally hooked and like most of my interest, I look into them more and find out the whole series is based on a comic book, more specifically a long-running black-and-white one.

For the price of this compendium I thought I would give it a try and I honestly enjoyed reading through it. The stories are loosely the same, but go in different directions so reading/watching one doesn't ruin the other for you and I'm enjoying both as two separate media.

Since buying this I've brought 2, 3 and 4 and am only holding off on buying the next to prolong the experience so I can continue to enjoy the Walking Dead for longer.

So if like me you've never read comic books before but were tempted after watching the TV series, I'd say give it a go, I'm almost certain you won't regret it!
on 21 February 2015
Where do I start? This is one of teh most compelling comic book series ever with a ground-breaking attempt to flesh out characters in a wonderfully detailed and engrossing way. It is fascinating to compare the differences between the comics and TV series each of which have real merits in their own rights. This is horror at its best - take a range of ordinary and diverse characters and place them in a horrifying situation then depict the way that they respond to the stress of existing in such a world.
The hardback editions are classy, well-bound and great for collecting. Recommended.
on 5 October 2010
As someone who has only read superhero based comics/graphic novels I decided I wanted to read something a bit different. While scrolling through amazon there was a lot of alternative choices but one name kept coming back to me time and time again, and that name was The Walking Dead.

I've known of this comics existance for a number of years now and I also happen to be a fan of the zombie genre but despite all this, I had never felt the need to pick it up. After watching a load of zombie flicks recently I have just been in that zombie place so to speak, so I felt now was time to give this series a try.

I opted for this 12 issue hardcover edition over the trade paperbacks and the very pricey omnibus edition and I must say that im very happy with the decision I made. The book is in an oversized format printed on good quality paper, everything appears nice and big allowing for all the detail to shine through.

I won't give away any plot details but I will say that I was thoroughly engrossed in the storyline and found myself almost reading the whole thing in one sitting, honestly the hours flew by and I had to force myself to stop in order to get a good nights sleep.

I would definately recommend this series to anyone especially if you're a fan of the zombie genre. It's engaging, well drawn and has some excellent character development which only gets better as the series goes on. At the time of this review i've gone on to buy all 5 hardcover books and im eagerly awaiting the release of book 6.
on 14 November 2014
What needs to be said, the TV show is garbage but thank god for the comic as it is way superior to the show. I will be collecting all of these and enjoy listening to my friends complain about how boring the show is after only 3 episodes into a new series.
on 2 February 2007
Without a doubt, one of the finest comic books of recent years. Intelligently written, believable, realistic and thought provoking, if you're a fan of more serious, grown up comic books then this is for you, even if you do not like horror or zombies it is worth giving a try.

Kirkman is a genius and nicely accompanied by talented artists (though I do prefer Adlrad's work from issue #7 onwards) and this book is only the tip of the iceberg. Containing the Days Gone By and Miles Behind Us arcs, compiling volumes 1 and 2 it sets the stage for later events and worse things are always just around the corner.
on 19 January 2016
It's brilliant. I guess it depends on if you read this before the TV series began to which you may prefer? At least in the comic in comparison to the TV series Rick does not come across as such an interfering wet lettuce goody too shoes! He needs to pack that in as it's infuriating watching him on the show. Great book, you probably won't put it down until you've finished it.
on 28 June 2015
Got this for an absolute steal in a sale. The quality is brilliant and the comic itself is awesome. If you're a fan of the show, or just great comics, you'll love this!

Only downside? Buying the rest of the volumes to complete your collection!