on 14 August 2017
Great dinner style recipes that remind my wife of her childhood favorites growing up in the USA in the 70s.
Enjoyed the recipes and the history of different New England, New York dinners.
Only point about this book is that it is a New England cook book, so no clasic southern dinner recipes in this.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 August 2017
great for family get to gethers, and use for ideas in any business,
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 December 2015
A bit short on photos, but otherwise ok.
on 3 April 2017
I think some reviewers have unjustifiably maligned this book.

OK, it's not going to enhance your coffee table or blow people away with its sumptuous visual appeal. Neither will it trouble you with much philosophising on the 'zen' of pancakes and burgers.

What it is, though, is an unpretentious, no nonsense book of good stuff to cook, presented in a way that just lets you get on with it. It's the kind of book that should be taken into the kitchen and allowed to collect food stains with honour.

To my mind, it fulfils its brief very well. A tenner well spent.
on 27 January 2007
Having travelled a lot in the USA I started a collection of Regional American Cookbooks. I came across The American Diner by pure chance, thinking that it sounded quite good. I was wrong! It is much more than "good" it is quite fabulous. I have tried out a good deal of the recipes, all turned out well. The section on Burgers in particular I found to be quite invaluable and have cooked many of these with great results. All the recipes are written clearly and are easy to follow. Don't be put off if like me you live in England as all the ingredients used in the book are available here. On another note, the book is full of charming pictures of Diners of the past and a little story attached to each of them. I can't rate this book highly enough.
11 Comment| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 November 2007
I bought this book not too long ago as the other reviewers raved on about it and the synoposis sounded lovely! The reviewers and the synoposis were not wrong! This book is amazing! All the recipes you can think of that would be in a Diner in America are in this book! I love it!
on 3 May 2008
This is probably the best cookbook in my collection. I love food, especially American food, and everything that I've wanted to sample and never got the chance to, is in this book waiting for me to cook. I can't wait.
on 14 June 2009
Interesting book with many a good recipe to try out. It's stirred a hankering for a road trip though..
on 10 March 2010
this book doesn't only contain great recipes but gives you an insight into the diners of america,it gave me a strong yearning to actually visit a good ol' no frills good american diner,something i hope to do very soon...
on 18 October 2008
I like the recipes in the book there are some things there that are quite different for someone from the U.K, my reservation about the book is i would of liked to see a few photos of the food as it always leaves me wanting a little when you arent sure how somethings should be presented.

Its obvious how to serve soup a burger but there are some recipes which it would of been a great help for.

I really like the ideas in top secret restaurant recipes:creating kitchen clones as this gives you a real idea of how things should go together.

Like i say though the recipes are really very good and easy too follow as well.