on 28 September 2015
I bought a couple of these watercolour books after discovering her work on a tarot app I downloaded from google store, called shadowscapes. I really love her work and the books are works of art in themselves. My only negative criticism would be that towards the end you are not guided through all parts of the paintings. It is also frustrating that the introductions to both books I purchased are almost identical. I understand the reasoning but would be nice to update them and add different pictures and perhaps a few advanced tips and some trouble shooting e.g. why the alcohol rubbing solution splatter or salt sprinkling may not be effective in certain conditions. Substitutes for rubbing alcohol (difficult to find in UK). Anyway basically just additional info as i suspect many purchasers will be buying more than one if they like Stephanie's work.
One person found this helpful
on 2 June 2009
This book will appeal to anyone who loves the "Magical" fantasy imagery. I found it to be well designed and laid out. The natural progression of improving skill levels was well done and obviously tested out along the way. The sections on drawing - Hands, Feet, Poses and Wings where excellent. They pinpointed the basic structural aspects, making these problem areas so much easier and comfortable to get right. The artist and writer of the book's images are inspirational, and that is part of it, to get you bursting to have a go. I found the " with Watercolor " in the title misleading in a way. You could learn so much from this book on the subject of Angel, Faery & Mermaid Worlds using any media. I have found the drawings I have done, once scanned into an art programme, allow digital painting. There are about 13 pages in (chapter 1) about Watercolour materials and techniques. There is the odd pointer about Watercolour along the way afterwards. It is the delightful illustrations and tips relative to producing quality work, composition and flow, style and believability of fantasy realms that is the strength of this book. If you have any "Art Materials" laying around unused and lack inspiration? After a browse through this book you will be getting them out and enjoying your own beautiful fantasy art!
7 people found this helpful
on 25 August 2012
In my eternal quest to hone my painting/drawing skills i have been buying and been disappoined with most of the 'how to' books. this is a delightful exception. there are loads of step by step, straight forward examples of the ethereal creatures and their worlds. the idea of layering and building up colour was simply illustrated in one of the first few pages and i got it! can't wait to work my way through the book and build up a data base that i can call on as i work in my projects. Thanks Stephanie. Also have the Dreamscapes Myth and Magic: Create Legendary Creatures and Characters in Watercolour which is equally helpful :)
2 people found this helpful
on 21 May 2010
What a great surprise it was for me, this book!
It's even better than i thought.
It's a very big book (175 pages).
Beggins like all the others, with useful tips on how to use watercolor, brushes, mixing materials to get diferent effects (like salt).
Then the author provides step by step images along with useful tips of how the efects where acomplished, the colors used to get just the right skin tone, the right environment and so on.
Also provides tips and drawings for the face, body dynamics, wings, clothing, adornments...
It is a very complete book that is very useful to learn (i'm sure you'll learn many things, at least i did) and also as a great inspiration.
Excelent book!!
3 people found this helpful
on 6 August 2015
I've always been a fan of Stephanie's incredible art, so when this book came out, I had to buy it. Initially, I purchased in Kindle format, but found it difficult to navigate while studying, that's just me. A paperback is so much quicker to flick through, get the full potential of colour, etc.

This is a fabulous book. Terrific tutorials/techniques, not just restricted to the use of watercolour. I've returned to it many times and it will forever have a place on my bookshelf.
on 25 May 2016
A book I have wanted a very long time. Excellent design. Really good step by step artwork. With many principals of how to draw and realistically. Packed very good and came extra fast.
on 19 July 2013
This Book is one of the best book I ever bought.
Clear descriptions, many useful tips are throughout the book. It has many step-by-step demonstrations and great, beautiful sketching ideas. It's full of wonderful, multicolored original artworks. A book for the ones who wants to learn watercolors and enter in a magic, mystic world. Highly recommended.
3 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2013
This book was full of great advice. It guides you clearly through use of watercolour techniques which are useful for novices and more advanced artists, as well as suggesting how you can apply the techniques to painting fantasy art. Easy to follow step-by-step instructions and beautiful artwork to look at.
2 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2016
Unique style of painting. Bought it to have as inspiration because of its swirley lines and great colours to be combined and used when i do patchwork.
on 29 March 2013
I have purchased all three of the books in this series. They are quite magical and a wonderful source of inspiration. Even if you don't paint or draw yourself, they are wonderful to look at.