Customer reviews

Paint Realistic Animals in Acrylic with Lee Hammond
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2017
Ideal for beginners. A good reference book for acrylic painters I found this book easy to follow with some mice projects to practice ...
on 13 April 2010
I am a VERY amateur artist and am used to only working in pencil and water colour but this book really appealed to me and I am so glad I bought it! The author explains step by step how to paint different animals, some even in monochrome. He explains about brushes, and different effects, canvas etc which was ideal for me as I was just going to start on my water colour pad!Whilst I harbour no secret belief that I could ever produce art like this, the pictures are truly inspiring and it makes me want to be a better artist as it seems achievable due to the great instructions. Whereas some books just seem to show off personal talents rather than show you how to paint, this leaves you in no doubt about the artist's talent but it gives you great ideas, steps, and descriptions to help you on your way ( the sections , for example, on noses and eyes is marvellous.) Can't sing this book's praises loud enough!
on 19 June 2015
What I know about art can be written on a postage stamp. Yet, I actually felt I learnt something here and improved my artwork. There is a lot of information in this book, but it is really well written an easy to follow. I never got to the point of being baffled which is a miner miracle when it comes to me and art.
on 23 June 2010
I found this book very informative .From advice on setting up with Acrylic paints,types of brushes,canvas materials ,all at a basic standard for the beginner and those starting to paint
in the early years. Lee then goes on to give understanding on colour from the basic palette.
From there it refers to basic techniques of drawing and brushwork.
After the basics its into the interesting part of finally painting the animals,with excellent instruction on texture of various furs.
The collection of animals in the book would make any animal lover want to attempt to paint.
on 17 January 2011
A good guide to painting fur skin and feather, but some pieces are better than others.Encourages you to be enthusiastic.
on 8 January 2014
The book only shows 3 steps for every picture. There arent enough pictures showing inbetween stages. It goes from just started to completed in 2 pictures its ridiculous. Though the book is thicker than anticipated its rather useless as it doesnt show you how to paint through lack of visual information.
on 3 July 2014
I borrowed this book at my local library and liked it that much I had to own it. The goat picture is my favourite as it has so much detail and is very life-like. It has step-by-step illustrations on how to do many of the paintings and even tells you which colours to use which I find the most helpful of all. It shows you how to paint and draw cats, dogs, a horse, a cows, a squirrel, a rabbit, a woodchuck, a tiger's face, an elephant, a lion, a turtle, a snake, an iguana and a number of birds. I cannot fault this book in any way. At the beginning it tells you the different items you need to get started and how to clean your paint brushes etc. It doesn't rely on tracing to draw the animals which is also a bonus. And finally it tells you about all the elements of shading which is essential in making the painting seem life-like. Love this book!
on 25 March 2013
I truely love the lee hammond books as they explain everything in simple terms . But as i also bought his big book which covers alsorts including animals. I needn't have bought this book .
on 9 December 2013
Its a handy book to have, though I did get a little impatient with it as I just wanted to get painting. I would say that its a good book for some one who has some skills in painting.
on 29 December 2012
This book does what it says. Lee Hammond lays things out simply, its very easy to follow. This is another great addition to my collection.