• Art

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 February 2001
A stunning look into the nature of friendship "Art" clearly examines what binds people together and what pushes them apart. Superbly written, none of the rich subtext is lost in the translation, scenes flow seemlessly into one another and yet still it maintains an essential simpilicity.
With only three characters in the play Reza is able to make them truly believable and their flaws clearly visable. This element of the play is more clearly highlighted if you are lucky enough to have seen the play which has been enjoying years of success now at Wyndhams. ...this play ...instantly became my personal favourite.
on 22 September 2005
"Art", a play written by French author Yasmina Reza (1959-...) in 1994, and translated into English in 1996 by Christopher Hampton, is quite interesting. Despite the fact that it isn't overly long, it tackles difficult subjects such as the nature of friendship and art in a rather original way.

The plot is not complicated, and revolves around three male friends: Serge, Marc and Yvan. The dynamics of their friendship is substantially altered when one of them, Serge, buys a Modernist painting without consulting with the others. Serge simply fell in love with the painting, and believes it is splendid even though it is somewhat strange, all white with some lines in a different tonality of white in the middle. Marc, his assertive friend, finds that the amount Serge paid for the painting (200,000 French francs) is absurdly large, and is offended by the mere idea that his friend Serge likes it and believes it is art. Yvan, on the other hand, doesn't mind, but his non-commital attitude will land him in trouble with both Serge and Marc.

Buying a painting, a seemingly common act, will draw the three friends into an uncomfortable debate about themselves, their relationship, and art. It will also give the reader the opportunity to take his own position in a debate that it is still going own.

All in all, I really liked "Art", and I found the ending specially good. This is the first play by Reza that I have read, but if the rest are as good as this one, I have no doubts that I will read many more.

Belen Alcat
on 7 March 2012
I loved this play... I love themes about friendship.. These three friends will argue over a piece of art. One of the protagonist basically can't understand why his best friend would spend so much money on a white canvas? I love the absurdity of the theme... But that's what makes the play so special.. Funny, deep, and moving.
Would we still be friends with our close friends if our ideas that we have of them would turn out to be completely different? ?? THat is the question ;-)
on 22 March 2014
I use it with GCSE drama students. Even after a number of years when working in a busy classroom I hear a line or too from it and I laugh out loud.
on 24 June 2010
watched the drama a few years ago, then it came to my mind again and i couldn't stop myself from buying the script. this drama is absolutely hilarious, based the plot on common conception of modern art, it then goes into the fragility of friendship. definitely recommended to those who love theatre.
on 3 February 2010
This novel is about friendship. The friendship of three men. An absolutely brilliant story, unbelievably funny, and says everything about men and friendship.
To be honest, it is best viewed on stage, but if it's not played reading also does the magic.
on 18 November 2011
I received the book in good time and in very good condition. There was a dedication on the front page, which I did not mind at all (actually think it gives books a bit of their own history) but maybe picky purchasers would like to know of those in advance. Thank you
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 December 2014
book bought as a present for my daughter and she says she likes it.
on 30 November 2014
Script as predicated.
on 4 June 2009
Bought it, read it, did a speech from it and then put it on. it's wonderful!