on 29 June 1999
Hogan's Heroes is my all-time favorite TV comedy show, not just because of the humor, but because of the interaction of the characters and the World War II setting. I can't think of one single episode throughout the entire course of the series that I don't like for one reason or another. It was well-written, well-acted and well-produced/directed, and deserved more than the few Emmys it received at the time. It's hard to say enough good things about this book, which to date has been the ONLY book on the series! Brenda Scott Royce, herself a long-time fan of the show, did a fantastic job. Just about everything most real fans of this classic and underappreciated TV series could want to find out is here. There are plot synopses of all the episodes of the series and original air dates, sections about each of the main characters/actors, and interesting related information. Only one area is lacking, a slight deficiency of photos. But the end result is still a treasure trove of information, thanks to the author's extensive research and interviews.
on 3 December 1998
My first reaction was, gee, do we really need a book about "Hogan's Heroes"? But a slight tug of nostalgia for a TV show I enjoyed as a kid won out over skepticism and I took a chance. I'm glad I did. The author does a nice job telling the story of a show that, in these politically correct 1990s, is often frowned upon. How dare somebody make a comedy about life in a WWII POW camp! Well, the author examines both sides of this loaded issue in a thoughtful and interesting and fun way, with insight even from the actors who themselves debated the matter. What the show's critics might have forgotten -- and what this book reminded me -- was that this was not a mean-spirited show. It was amiable and genuinely funny. Nice job.
on 3 July 1999
This is a very comprehensive edition of this book. It covers just about everything there is to cover about the show, the characters, roles of re-curring actors and more. It's an improvement over the original version that came across as more of a text book. This version has a better color and more eye-appealing graphics inside. The episode guide is very handy while watching episodes from the video collection (mine's from Columbia House). The only drawbacks I can think of is that it could use more color photos and I did notice one trivia answer that was incorrect--The coffee pot is a direct-line hook-up and is not a radio receiver... but aside from minor things like that I heartily recommend this book.
on 10 June 1999
Did you know that there was ongoing tension between Bob Crane and Richard Dawson during the run of Hogan's Heroes? Did you know that the producers of Hogan's Heroes considered casting John Banner as Klink and Werner Klemperer as Sgt. Schultz (before finally switching the parts around)? Do you want to know which episode to watch if you want to see Banner and Klemperer actually switch roles? This tremendous book has all this and much more. It's a great investment if you have any interest at all in Hogan's Heroes.
on 16 May 1999
I am a huge Hogan's Heroes fan. I cannot believe how astoundinly informative and superbly done this book is! This book includes so many great pictures to enjoy as well. Every single page is full of great detail and information. I found this book thoroughly enjoyable. Once I began reading it, I could not put the book down. Anyone could benefit from the hours of nostalgic memories and hilarities which I experienced reading this book.
on 12 November 1998
This is a fun book that brought back a lot of fond memories. In addition to remembering all the wacky escapades of Klink and company, I was intrigued to read about the backstage history and the actors' real lives. Well done!